Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess we have all heard of the Inca Trail in Peru, the Kilimanjaro Summit Trek in Africa so what about doing one ourselves, albeit on not such a grand scale - SAAB TREK- beam me up Scotty!.

Recently I put a set of B&O speakers on Ebay from which all proceeds go to the 'Babe Appeal' - a childrens hospice. Saab owner and all round good egg, ScottyMc won with a generous 'donation' of £40. Now Scott lives up north and the speakers are down south. So the most logical thing to do is pack them up and post them. But being Saab owners (Clarksons smug Saab smile here) we though we could try something a little different.

Scott and I have hatched a plan in which the speakers are driven another Saab owner or owners. He,she or they will take the package (obligitory photo of handover here) a little further to the next Saab owner, who will once again have a picture taken...... and so handovers continue until the speakers reach Scott - he plans to then send teh packages to Scotland, so tehy don't feel left out!. The box will have a message form attached where each person can add their comments, message or signature. It is planned to send an article and photos to the SOC for possible inclusion in 'Driver'

At each handover the picture(s) are uploaded to the Saab Trek site Saab Trek - thanks to Zaphod here, so we can all keep up with our very own 'Saab Trek'. Anyone who's willing to take part would be encouraged to make a minimum £5 donation to the 'Babe Appeal' - yes, we know it's a bit of a cheek, but hey this really is a good cause, more so if you happen to be a parent, and remember its almost Christmas.
Scott has also very kindly offered to contribute extra to the cheque for what the postage costs would be, if the items were sent.

You can pay via Ebay - search for 'Saab Trek'
or send a cheque (payable to Childrens Hospice South West) to:

Babe Appeal
David Dallimore
671 Wells Road
Bristol BS14 9HU.

Cheques MUST BE made payable to the Childrens Hospice South West

The 'Babe Appeal' web site is www.chsw.co.uk/index.cfm

Current route:

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
clarkson here with a smug smile...(no relation honest)
hows about a nice peebles to perth leg ?
would be happy to whisk the parcels at warp factor 9.5 (the engines canny take it cap'n...)

would be proud to pay a bit for the short leg ..
so how does it work ? I see some of the legs have been completed already
so when would the scotty bit be done ?

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Any more news on when the "merchandise" is getting to Leeds? I'm still up for the Leeds to Teeside leg, as mentioned on the SC thread.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Fliptop

Currently we are trying to fill the gap between Exeter and Salisbury but there seems to be a sad lack of willing Saab owners in that area. We have a backup plan, but it would be great if someone local could do it. After we have done this link, the route is fairly starightforward, though saying that, Ross & Strawman want to do their bit and they are in Wales..... then we have Scotland

The Ebay paying system finishes soon and this has proved a success for donations. Anyone who's interested should type 'Saab Trek' in the Ebay search engine.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
OK, if things go my way tomorrow then it's likely I'll be in Exeter most of/all next week, so I could potentially do that leg as well as originally offered. Hopefully I'll know by 10:30 tomorrow...wish me luck

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Elsewhere I heard about Wales....

There is a possibility that I will have to go from London to Bridgend next week. Nothing fixed yet though.

Otherwise the route on the map looks set up for a trip the long way round the M25. Slough to Harrow is it?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, can I express my thanks and appreciation to the staff of Saabscene who have generously sent a donation of £100 towards Saab Trek. Many thanks.

SGould, if you could confirm the London to Bridgend route I will add it to the map. It would help considerably as this means we can definately include a Welsh trip

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
The likelihood of the Brigend trip is that it is the location of one of our suppliers. He is going to organise the testing of some faulty product I have returned. I have asked to witness this test. I am waiting on him at the moment.

There is a possibility that he will accept full liability without discussion, in which case I may not need to go. Hope to know one way or the other early next week.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
OK, it's a goer, I'll be travelling down to Exeter on Monday via Hemel, returning on Friday night. Happy to pick up the package one evening while down in the land of cream teas & deposit somewhere not too far off the M5 for the next legs across to the Home Counties.

Naranto/Zaphod I'll PM my contact details so you can get hold of me if need be to arrange things.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
PM dealt with.

Current intention is to pass the speakers on on Friday morning somewhere up the M40 as I have a business trip to make to Banbury. Angua has been in touch.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great news Will. Onward and upward!

Can I remind anyone who's unable to take part in the Trek itself, you can be an honorary member of the Saab Trek club. Simply send your donation by cheque to 'Childrens Hospice South West' and sent to
Saab Trek
671 Wells Road
Bristol
BS14 9HU.

Payment can be made via Paypal to [email protected] - all contributors will be listed.

Every penny you send will go to this very worthwhile hospice.

Payments have been received from:
£5 Rob Sandey
£10 The Beetlebrox's
£5 Big Nev
£5 Kevitree
£5 Agey
£10 Naranto's
£10 Heli-saaber
£100 Saabscene
£10 Paco's

Ebay and Paypal payments from:
£5 Scott Hutchins - Canada
£5 Simon Turner - UK
£5 Scott Acheychek - USA
£5 Ruth Ellison - USA
£10 Mark- Ireland
£20 Microcat - UK
£6 Ross - UK
£100 Saabcentral - UK
£5 Paul Whiter - UK
£5 Nutcase - UK
£10 Sgould - UK

If it's more convenient you can now pay by Paypal
All payments will be listed and verified by a third source (Zaphod!)

It is hoped to present the cheques to the Childrens Hospice at The Bristol Classic Car Show in January - details to follow.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Well I met up with Will, ragtopcav and angua (?) at the Heritage Motor Centre at Gaydon this afternoon.

I missed the actual handover, but I did get to see one of the boxes nestling in the boot of anguas 9000!!

Nice to finally meet some other Saabees, though!!! Despite being dressed in my awful workwear!!!!..and with a filthy car
!!

I have also contributed using PayPal, and it seemed to work OK.

Good luck with the rest of the Trek.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Originally posted by Steve McF:
[qb]Well I met up with Will, ragtopcav and angua (?) at the Heritage Motor Centre at Gaydon this afternoon.

I missed the actual handover, but I did get to see one of the boxes nestling in the boot of anguas 9000!!    :thumbsup:  

Nice to finally meet some other Saabees, though!!!  Despite being dressed in my awful workwear!!!!..and with a filthy car [/qb]  [/b]
That filthy car was in-excusable

As far as the work togs goes, if the 73% of idiots I work with at Ford Leamington get there way I may be a colleague of yours at Gaydon in a year or so, maybe I will look the same then.

Always good to meet real people behind 'usernames' though if I get any more scruffy in my turnout I'll become mine
Some pictures to look at.

Rain stayed away but it was rather cold.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
The dirty silver 9-5 to the left of that last picture is Steve McFs!!

Apologies for not washing and waxing it beforehand....the inside needs a good hoover too!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
What a wonderful idea ! So sad i've been laid up and so missed out on an excuse to get my baby out with a purpose! More excuses if only for me please!

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Originally posted by raggy:
[qb]...Rain stayed away but it was rather cold. [/qb][/b]
Cold? I've been off work with one ever since!!

My two pictures (and my avatar) are somewhere on my free webspace at the ISP - which fell over on Saturday and is still not back

1 - 20 of 36 Posts