Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apologies, MarkE has corrected me in that the date has been set for Friday 2nd July 2004. More information will be published at www.saabtrackday.co.uk in the next day or so.

We are looking forward to building on what was an excellent event, earlier this year, that saw a bunch of friendly Saab owners get together and enjoy themselves in a way that the weather could not come close to spoiling for them.

A fantastic day - a report of which recently appeared in the Saab Owners Club magazine.

We'll see you for the Saabscene Trackday 2004 event next July

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is now a newsletter at www.saabtrackday.co.uk to which you may sign up your email address to be kept informed of developments.

A booking form will be available within the next few days together with more information about the trackday.

You may also keep an eye on www.saabtrackday.co.uk for details.

Saabtrackday is organised by SaabScene and is open to all Saab drivers. Whether you participate in Saabscene, Saab Owners Club or Saabcentral, all of them or none of them, it does not matter since enthusiasm and the will to meet like-minded, friendly Saab drivers are the only qualifications
Our invitation is open to all

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have never been to a trackday, and honestly am not confident about driving on a track yet as I am a newish driver. But I am very much interested in coming along as a viewer if that is allowed. Could you please let me know if I can come along as a viewer... maybe that will give me some confidence for a future trackday !

Cheers,
Neel.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Neel,

The format of the day, last time, was a briefing in the hut from the instructors. They talk you through which line to take through each curve and highlight any idiosyncracies of the track.

They then took us out on a parade lap at about 40mph - which was also designed to disperse some water. This was a follow my leader where the instructor drove the correct line and everyone else followed that line.

You then get to go out with a limited number of cars in each session. This was split into novices in one session and those with previous experience in another. You may elect to take an instructor with you or even have him drive you round in your car.

Last time was my first time and I, too, was anxious. I made sure that I went out with an instructor first. Fred was quite anxious at the beginning of the day - but by the end he was loving it - got the award for most improved driver of the day

What's more, being a trackday organised by Saab people you are likely to meet a bunch of people from here and everyone was very friendly at this year's event. Remember - it is not a competitive event - the driving was courteous - you let faster cars overtake you.

I think a properly organised day like this has distinct advantages over just turning up at a track with an open pit.
<ul type="square">
[*]The Saabtrackday event has instructors on hand all day and included in the price.
[*]The event is properly marshalled and insured
[*]There are only Saabs on the track
[*]You will meet people that you talk to on Saabscene
[*]It's friendly and non-competitive
[/list]

Furthermore, Anglesey has very wide run-off areas just in case you do venture off road. Only three people did last time.

If you are still not sure, turn up and join us as a passenger - though Adrian was kicking himself that he did not drive on the day

Go for it!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Neel,

The last Saabscene trackday was my first and it was great.

Lots and lots of support for novices and very well organised/marshalled etc.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a first timer!

Like /John says... Go for it!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Originally posted by Mark P:
[qb]Neel,

The last Saabscene trackday was my first and it was great.

Lots and lots of support for novices and very well organised/marshalled etc.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a first timer!

Like /John says... Go for it!    
  [/qb][/b]
Does that mean your going to bring your car onto the track this time Mark??

·
Registered
202 Posts
I will if you will!

Wasn't much of a choice last time though was it?

Drive Bill's 300bhp Modified 9000 Aero or my completely standard 140bhp GM900?

I think I took all of 2 seconds to decide that one!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well - we're hoping to get a couple of two-strokes along next time ...and I think that they are quite capable of surprising us

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb]Well - we're hoping to get a couple of two-strokes along next time ...and I think that they are quite capable of surprising us    [/qb][/b]
Including a Sonnett (using the spelling from the Saab Museum....)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks for all the encouraging words and particularly /john for such a description of the trackday. I am feeling very encouraged to come for it. Though my hesitations are for the following reasons:

1> I am a new driver.. got my license a few months back... so by no standards am I am an expert driver (though it is true that I have already driven my Saaby more than 6K miles and not once has my Saaby been in contact with another motor or anything hard in these months).

2> I wouldn't want to risk either my beloved Saaby or another fellow Saab lover's passion to be hurt because of my wish for a day's fun.

But yes I am going to think for a few days and then shall contact you about it. In any case I will most certainly be a spectator at the least. Wouldn't like to miss the first opportunity to see such a gathering of lovely Saabs and most importantly meet such a nice group of people who make this BB such a great place to be in .

Thanks again,
Neel.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm really interested in taking part this year (another standard-100bhp slow coach
). Can anyone give me an idea of how much the whole weekend will cost, not just the trackday but accomodation, meals, fuel, insurance etc?

Do you HAVE to have insurance to be allowed on the track? I know my regular policy doesn't cover trackdays, but seeing as my car's only worth a few hundred quid it hardly seems worth it.

Having said that, if I were to hit someone else...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by rallyminis:
[qb] Iv'e got the form ready and am counting the days. I recently bought a classic 900 aero s LPT with only 79,000 miles. it is now sporting extra gauges, vent covers, momo saab s/wheel etc. oh yer and a charge cooler kit, s/steel exhaust, springs, koni dampers, 3.3 fuel regulator, itg air filter, baily evo dump valve , 9000 aero front brakes with brembo grooved and vented disc and mintex pads being suppied by goodridge hose this is a very worth while conversion all from abbott racing. being 22 i had to do this for insurance perposes. see you all there. great web site [/qb][/b]

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Right, I'm on a mission ...

2nd July is my birthday, and I can't think of a better way to spend it And there's a small chance we'll be in the UK around then. Here's hoping

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Joel,

No, you don't have to have insurance to attend a track day. The requirements are simply that your vehicle is trackworthy.

HTH

·
Registered
430 Posts
Oh dear , I think BillJ has turned all Finbarr Saunders.

Rarely does one see such a splendid 'double entendre' in these days of political correctness.

Edited for miss-spelling of 'Finbarr' , a God amongst Viz characters.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts