Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Saab tid with auto box to have or to avoid ??

Tags
box
3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  tennentsfan 
#1 ·
Hello There

run a few saabs as taxis and well to be frank im sick of changing flywheels every 20k so am thinking about going down auto box route .... Would this be a tragic error ???
Absolutely love the tid engine but ive had it with box in box out malark .......

Any input much appreciated

Cheers Kieran

#3 ·
Rather than replace the DMF with another DMF why not replace it with a solid flywheel? End of problem.
Abbots can help I'm sure....

As far as Autos are concerned, if they are well maintained (and you ignore the 'sealed for life' BS from the manufacturers and actually regularly change the oil) they should last well. I've not heard of the autos in Saabs being any worse than any other. A side benefit of an auto is they are kinder on tyres and diffs. The bad news is they're worse on fuel and brakes. As a taxi I would think an auto would be ideal as not as much work to drive in traffic.

#4 ·
I've had nothing but auto for the past 20-odd years, my present chariot being a 9-3 TiD auto. Touch wood I have never had an issue with the auto gearbox in any of my cars. The six-speed box in my 93 is fine.

Other autos i have known and loved include several Volvos, a Merc, a Honda and now of course the Saab. The only thing I's say is that you should avoid anything that has a clutchless manual gearbox. These cars have only two pedals, a conventional manual gearbox but with a computer controlled clutch mechanism. Found in some makes and usually called something '-tronic' they are totally awful. Honda's version for example is called I-Shift, and I think that Citroen-Peugeot have something similar.

Stick with a proper torque-convertor box and you'll be fine.

Jack

#7 ·
I've used techniclutch before lol it lasted a whole 20 miles before I thought the box was knackered lol I looked at abbots aswell Nathan but couldn't fine there's amymore seems
To be removed from there website .. And to be honest I'm looking to upgrade all the cars to auto anyway if the boxes are decent enough .. Will have to replace 4 cars this year so aswell get the ball rolling lol I set a 2k budget on a car aswell haha so it will be tid for the next little while :joy::joy: well Untill I finds bargain ttid auto. Cheers for the input gents and when the problems start I'll be back moaning about the auto box haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.