Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Saab head unit with small removable section, under seat amplifier and Clarion boot changer (all factory fitted).
But i notice that the actual sound in the car is [expletive deleted]!

It seems to be all low frequencies at the back and too trebley at the front.
I cannot find a happy medium using the controls on the head unit.
As far as i can tell every speaker is working.

Does anyone else think they are getting the same?

I was thinking about getting another head unit, can you get looms that will allow the fitting of a new unit without butchering the original wiring loom?

Skiddins

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
First thing I did was remove the saab stereo
(still got it if anyone wants to make me an offer)
amd replace the front speakers (still got the back ones as they sound pretty good)
I found the unit a tad underpowered
I replaced it with a sony head unit and this really beefed up the sound even although it did not have an external amp !!an external amp and mission subwoofer followed which really gave the sound depth and headroom.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sorry chaps disagree. I had a 1990 9K with the full amp Saab stereo with seperate tape and CD...only mine had the Amp in the dash where the ciggie lighter/ashtray should have gone. The sound was superb...Not the most powerful I grant you...but at full blast everything sounded right...no real distortion as if the speakers of amp were struggling, just nice clear sound. Also the boot had a small Subwoofer fitted into the side of it (Saab branded still) which shorted the boots width but added depth to the sound. I'd never change it for an aftermarket one unless I was going to put a proper install in of qwuality speakers...tweeters...small sub....and possibly crossovers to filter the sound right up, otherwise I think you're just spending money for no reason. How much are you looking for the that Saab one you've got?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not the volume levels that are the problem (even though the amp i believe is a Nokia made for Saab) it's purely the EQ levels between front and rear being so different.

The 5year old Clarion will even play CD-R's so I'd rather not change it if possible, but all the latest Clarion stuff use Ce-Bus or something (presumably incompatible).

Skiddins

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Nufis, Aura aren't bad products and usually nicely styled. I would check Rega Product's range - they have a wider range to deal with moere pockets, the CDs are superb and it seems appropriate as you come from Riga! They are probably the most ethical of all hi-fi companies and have importers in most countries. If you want to spend more cash, check out Naim Audio.

I would say that the Saab basic stereo is average and it would be the first thing to replace if you have the decent separate speaker units. My Denon head unit (£460 when new) absolutely blew the Saab one away and I am currently using it with the built in amp.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I know on my '90 model. Which at the time must have been one of the if not THE best standard manufacturers car stereo at the time had a tape and CD made by Alpine but badged by Saab. And the Amp was made by Luxor and that was the bit that packed up on mine, and they were £600 to replace!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I got the full Saab/Alpine 9000 Audio system out of a breakers with the under seat amp for £40 including finding the keycode card on the floor!!!.
Its a brilliant sounding system and the guys at Turners Hill saab reckonned it was around £1000 new!!??.
My Dads in love with it!!

Pete.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Well, all I can say is that it was not a patch on my Denon & having a '95 Aero, I guess that it was the system you mention - the speakers are 2 way Luxor's. However, the Denon had one of the finest tape decks on the market; it even came with Dolby C! This system in a previous car, with MB Quart speakers/JL sub/appropriate amps/dynomat etc etc sounded better than the dealers (award winning!) show car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.