Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...

I'm new to this site, but from what I've been reading, this is exactly what I've been looking for.

Back in April I purchased a 2000 Saab Viggen 5 door.... In spite of the torque steer I put down my $29,000 Cdn...I've been reading about the Viggen Rescue kit, etc, to reduce the torque steer.

I happened to come across some info that suggested if I changed tires it would help...2 weeks ago I purchased some Firestone Firehawks and the difference is incredible...I wouldn't say the torque steer is completely eliminated...But it is a totally different car, it might be a route to go, especially if you need new rubber anyway...

So, now that I have the car going more or less in a straight line...I'd like to add some more power to the equation.

I live in Toronto, Canada and I can't seem to find anyone that specializes in Saab performance...I'd really like to upgrade the ecu, intake, exhaust, etc...but want the work done by someone who knows what the heck they're doing...!!!

Any suggestions out there would be appreciated...

thanks.
ed

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ed, are the Firehawks the SZ-50's? I have these on my modified Aero (9000). They use the same compound as the Bridgestone SO3's, but have a different tread pattern. I suspect my Aero is producing over 300 hp, yet the tires still grip fiercly - in both the wet and the dry. As for tuning your Viggen, a lot can be done without the need for a rocket scientist. You can order all the exhaust parts and have any reputable muffler shop do the installation. Intake modifications are an ideal DIY project with off-the-shelf parts from Speedparts. The ecu is probably the easiest matter to resolve - the only hard part is deciding which 'tuner' to use. I'll make it easy for you - use MapTun. Just tell them the kind of power you want, they'll send you an reprogrammed ECU, then you send them a replacement ECU after you install it and determine it's functioning as you wanted. I'm being a bit facetious about this - you really should do the research on the various 'tuners-of-Saab ECU's', but I'll wager that if you do, you'll come to the same conclusion I did - MapTun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Robert...

Ya they're the SZ50's...

I sort of got hooked on the Firestones when I attended the Bridestone race school for a couple days...they were running them on all the Camaros and Firebirds there...

I bought them for my 1995 Trans Am as well...it had a Paxton Supercharger set-up...I never had it on a dyno...but I imagine it was around 400-ish horse...maybe a tad more, and the tires were excellent...
( I sold that when I had my daughter )...

At that time I had a 1985 Saab 900 as my winter beater and stored the "bird"...

Then I traded to a 1997 900S...when I saw the Viggen I thought what the heck...

ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts