Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got 171k on mine however its on its second engine which has around 30k less. I was just wondering hows everyone elses Saabs holding up?.

And do they really go forever?

Michael

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
183K on original engine, turbo but with a rebuilt gearbox (around 170K). The engine is a peach and will last another 200K easily provding I get the darn balance shaft chain service done.
It's unlikely that I'll put many more miles on it to be honest, I'm looking to put it into semi-retirement and buying a 9-3 TiD as my runabout.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
My Aero clicked over 180K the weekend before last. Mind you, it's on its second engine and the gearbox has been rebuilt three times

Mind you all (except the first gearbox rebuild that went along with the LSD installation) have been catastrophic failures with known causes (or a prime suspect in the case of the engine failure), not wear and tear.

My CSE manual is running sweetly at 145K miles, although I believe it has recently had a reconditioned gearbox due to speedo drive failure.

The CSE auto is at just over 100K miles and running very smoothly, despite the reputation of the autos to give trouble around this mileage.

My first 9000 (an '87 2.0T) was over 200K miles when I gave it away. It wouldn't stay in 5th gear and I was told it would be expensive to fix, but I found out recently it could probably have been fixed with the gearbox still in the car

·
Registered
68 Posts
hi all

my 94 2.3T Griffin just turned 179K with new head, new chains and new gearbox, all by main dealer - that all went around 160K and wasn't cheap!!!!!! Still on original turbo though

Dads Ruby Red 93 2.3T Griffin on 222,000 on original everything apart from rear exhaust box, ventilation fan motor and radiator.

My old 89 2.0T CDE was sold at 246,000 on new gearbox and turbo but still sent like the wind and felt as solid as ever. I decided to sell when the brake light relay packed up!

·
Registered
778 Posts
My '94 Aero has about 125k miles on the body. The engine has 57k miles, the transaxle has 42k miles, and everything underneath has been replaced: rear suspension, front suspension, all the rotors, calipers, brake lines, 1 fuel line, and the complete exhaust. The only thing original is the gas tank, but the pump has been changed, too. The best thing I ever did was buy the complete '98 drivetrain, w/10k miles, from my local salvage yard, 4 years ago, for about £1700. It's been in three different vehicles - a '98 CSE, a '92 CC, and finally, in the present Aero, where it feels very much at home

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
My '87 turbo reached 174,000 on original engine and gearbox etc before I sold it to Neil who still has it - turbo was a little smokey but otherwise not too bad - the last 50,000 miles on 100 miles per day commuting on the A2.
Mike

·
Registered
246 Posts
My 97 CSE Anniversary is on 113K at the moment. I have owned it for 6 months and have driven it for about 3k miles in this time. It has been very trouble free and I have not had to replace anything but don't know what parts/components have been by previous owners (I bought the car from a trader). Any tips on how I might be able to find out?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
257000 KMS on my 2.3 9000 Griffin from 1992...however EVERYTHING has been rebuilt in the last year... engine, gearbox, vac lines, brakes, exhaust, tyres, dampers, springs, bushings, mounts, anti-rollbars and some electrics.

89000KMS on my 2.2 9-3 TiD S from 2001, failures so far : Temp/Boost sensor, Airmass meter, intercooler hose (both) and Cam cover gasket.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
91,000 miles on my '96 CSE 2.3T. I bought it over 3 year ago with 55K on it. I've replaced the exhaust, serpentine belt, tensioner damper and idler pulleys and it got a new battery last year. Last weekend I replaced the front discs and pads and I'll probably do the rear ones soon.

·
Registered
696 Posts
242500 Miles by now. On my '93 9K CSE. Had chains done at 112500 Miles further No probs Still the original Engine + Autobox. It helps that the last owners since 130.000 Miles all are Saab mechanics.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its amazing how much mileage that can be got out of a car once its been looked after and serviced regularly. I cant believe how well my trusty 9000cs is going, and so far Ive been lucky with just minor things going wrong.

Happy days and long live the saab!

Michael

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Aero...funnily enough same as mark e's 186k
origonal !!!
rebuilt gearbox a year ago @ 135k
(doing a lot of driving !!this year )
timing chains as well
carlsson 175k I think
totally origonal