Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Does anyone know what Led lights do i need to buy to fit a Saab 9.3 year 2005/2006. My mecchanic recently fitted a pair of Led lights for my side lights but they are not working very well.Each time i drive my car with the lights off, some how the led lights will flicker on and off.. I spoke to my mecchanic and the reason for this is because the led lights are low resistance and therefore dont require much elettricity to be powered.
I would appreciate if someone could tell me what lights I need to purchase, where and cost. My mecchanic does not know.
Thank you
Mark

·
Registered
345 Posts
I bought "none-error" ones for my '06 reg 9-3 vert, and they flash for a while when I use the remote to lock/unlock the car, but stop after a minute or so.

Doesn't worry me TBH, I look upon it that a potential tealeaf might see it as an immobiliser/alarm acknowledgement.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine lights behave like yours but also they flash on and off when driving with the lights switched off.
Baxlin what lights do you have?Where did you buy them and what resistance are they?
Thank you

·
Registered
345 Posts
This (hopefully) is the link to what I bought last week, I can't recall what I had previously (which didn't last more than a few months, but had the same symptoms).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290617372321?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

As a matter of interest, how did you discover they flickered as you were driving? Must admit I drive with dipped headlights most of the time anyway, so it's a moot point for me, but I could maybe check if mine do the same.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Incredible how little they cost on Ebay. I paid £50 to have my lights replaced and look like the ones on Ebay.
Did u replace the lights yourself? I am tempted to buythe same lights you bought. I tried getting in touch with Saab but they dont want to take responsibility for replacing the led lights (not Saab parts)
To answer your question, i am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my car and just stepped out of the car and noticed my lights were flickering.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Replacing them is quite easy, once you get over breaking the normal rule that you shouldn't pull on wiring to remove the units.

Apparently the sidelight wires are reinforced, and pulling the bulbs out by the wires (oo-er Mrs) is the correct handbook/Haynes method. I found it easier to first remove the main beam bulb to give more access.

£50 to replace sidelight bulbs? Phew. I think mine took about 10 minutes for both, a little longer the first time I did it on the vert.

Must admit I don't like the idea of stepping out of the car as I'm driving along, just to see if the sidelights are flashing.............

(Apologies, Mark, I couldn't resist the last bit!)

Regards

malcolm

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mark, just checked as much as I could in the dark, and mine flash without the lights on.

BUT! As I said in my first post, they flash for a minute or so each time I use the remote, so it could be that they stop flashing after a while when driving without lights on. I was unable to check.

So it's likely that by changing them again, you may have the same symptoms!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
Thanks for your advice. One of my Led lights broke today ( what a waist of £50) so decided to follow your steps and bought the same led lights from Ebay.(only £4). They are error free.
I am looking forward to try them on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi, saab4ever2020 (-if you have fitted them yet),& baxlin,I was just wondering if apart from looking better than ordinary side lights,the LED ones actually
make any difference to visibility,which we know isn't the best on 93s.

·
Registered
345 Posts
They don't help driving visibility, they're only, in Saabspeak, 'position lights', but they're much whiter (personally I don't like the blue ones) than the OE ones, in fact they're whiter than the xenon dipped on my car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with baxlin.They make no difference in visibility but they make the car cooler and also other drivers can see you much better if you were driving with standard position lights.

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
I have just fitted these to mine and they make the world of difference - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130490221945?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The plastic around the lights is thick with dirt and I didn't clean them when putting back on and still the brightness is incredible.

I am going to replace every single bulb inside with LED bulbs and the front sidelights too.

The bulbs I have as all have mentioned do flicker but only for approx 1 min after car has been locked and then stop.

If this happens to the interior bulbs too this will be very amusing once car is locked.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi Baxlin. they delivered the same lights you bought. Did you replace the lights yourself? Was it a difficulttask?
Just follow the handbook, Mark, but 2 points, pull the wires, don't tug them. I also found it easier to fiddle them in and out once I'd removed the main beam bulbs. Took less than 15 mins for the two.

HTH

Malcolm

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
Have any of you guys changes the dipped to HID's?

I have mine to do over the weekend, bit unsure on fitment of the new bulbs, not holding my hopes out that it's going to fit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just follow the handbook, Mark, but 2 points, pull the wires, don't tug them. I also found it easier to fiddle them in and out once I'd removed the main beam bulbs. Took less than 15 mins for the two.

H

Malcolm
Thanks Malcom. I replaced the lights yesterday and it was a success. I am half tempted doing the fog lights now but may be its to difficult task.

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
At night they are very bright in comparison, changed the side lights too for LED's a must have with the HIDs. They also flash once car is locked this does only last a very short period.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts