Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im quite a saab fan, infact around september time i will be purchasing a 2003 9-5 aero wagon and taking it to maptune stage 5 (most likely, yet im still open to suggestions).. however, i cannot help but wonder why saab value depreciates so quickly and dramatically. bmw and benz keep their value quite a lot better, yet since i currently own one of each, it makes no sense why. my 2001 325i is a slow peice of **** with an immage, and my 2000 e-class has constant electrical and other problems. what kind of problems should i anticipate if i take my future saab to the stage 5 of maptune? i will invest into handling as well, and possibly a race transmission... still need to see what maptune will recommend in addition to the stg 5 engine work.
by the way, i drove by the new bmw 5 series. im not impressed, however i hate bmw, and one of my missions with the saab will be to humiliate dinan m3s and m5s. (i have some digital pictures that i took of the new 5 as i drove next to it, yet i dont know how i can upload them to this discussion board)

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
With a few rare exceptions, all cars will depreciate to a greater or lesser extent. The smart money is on one of these cars at three years old or so when it has taken the brunt of the depreciation. You can pick one up from a dealer with an approved warranty in the knowledge that someone else lost a lot of money on it.

...and then you can start embarrassing the beemers

·
Registered
258 Posts
John's absolutely right. Buy at three years or more, (I did at 5 years plus) and let someone else take the hit for the depreciation.

I did this with both the 9000 models I've had. Picked up good low mileage examples (eg 60,000 or thereabouts, haredly broken in) for a fraction of the original cost. I'm actually glad they depreciate so heavily.

This time round, the money saved can be piled into modifying performance.

I don't know about the USA, but certainly in the UK, even in standard form you're hard pressed to find more car for your cash than a SAAB on the nearly new/used market.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I bought my 9-5 at 3 yrs 30,000 miles for less than 40% of new price.

When I arrived at work with my personal plate on it, it could have been new . My boss thought I was getting brown envelopes

There might be a case for buying at around 2 yr 6 mths so that you can get it up to scratch under warranty before embarking on all those warranty voiding upgrades

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
There might be a case for buying at around 2 yr 6 mths so that you can get it up to scratch under warranty before embarking on all those warranty voiding upgrades  [/b]
Hey good idea! but I bought mine when it was about that age unfortunately Saabs warranty only covers the car up to 60,000 miles

Would this topic not be better in the car-park?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.