Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a drive in a standard engined Aero today, my abbotted 2.3lpt has approx 230bhp, so in terms of bhp they are similar. However to drive, I couldnt believe how different they are. The Aero was far more of a revver, not the same bottom end punch as my lpt, but, far more sporty with its power delivery, the engine note even sounded slightly different too. We then had a drive of the two back to back and mine pulls much harder at lower revs, but the power in mines tails off very quickly and the AERO pulls it in, but overall there was no difference in straight line acceleration.

The only mod the AERO had was a abbott LSD, what a big difference that makes, really helps get the power down nice and early, far more controlled.

The handling of the AERO was in a totally different league to my CSE, so next step for me is a complete overhall of the suspension, and the interior of an AERO ! lovely seats

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
The Aero has a bigger turbo in the mitsubuishi TD04 than the LPT which has a T25. The problem with the T25 is that from about 4000rpm upwards it really cannot keep up with the amount of fuel that the injectors are able to chuck in so the torque drops off quite dramatically.

I have a 1992 2.3FPT which is putting out a proven 221bhp, so it's characteristics are probably not so different from your modified LPT which is effectively a FPT now that the boost restriction has been removed by Abbott. If you want to give your car the top end grunt of the Aero you'll need to upgrade to a bigger turbo, ideally a TD04-15T or a Garrett hybrid turbo such as the T28/T3. There are many options out there, but depending on how much you've already spent on the LPT, you might want to consider trading it for an Aero which has had some go-faster bits added already.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jason,

I have already sunk apprx £1500.00 into my LPT as it is, and to be honest, I quite like the driving style of the LPT, so will stick with what I have got, just upgrading as I go along....

Plus I could never convice the other half that I needed an AERO in place of what I have now !

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by saab90002.3t:
[qb]Hi Jason,

I have already sunk apprx £1500.00 into my LPT as it is, and to be honest, I quite like the driving style of the LPT, so will stick with what I have got, just upgrading as I go along....

Plus I could never convice the other half that I needed an AERO in place of what I have now ! [/qb][/b]
Your in a similar position to me then, I've spent getting close to £2K on mine in the last 18 months, so if I traded up I would lose money! I've decided to stick with mine for the full course, when I need a newer main car the CD will become a weekend toy and trackday car.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am at my limit for cars too......my wife has my old Audi Coupe, which I got bored of, plus I have the Lotus...I havw to stick with the 9000 for the next two years, which is an agreement I made with SWMBO, however i didnt agree to no mods to the SAAB !

Next step will be an overhaul for the suspension, along with 16" rims, power wise, Im pretty happy with what I have got, as really to get any more I am into serious money...so heres hoping for a good 2004 !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.