Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Saab 93 1.9 TTID 2011 Convertable. Oil level increasing and strong smell from exhaust

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Gubben 
#1 ·
Hi folks, I'm at my wits end with our car, will explain as best as i can as but not really mechanically savvy, I've had the car 2 years now and from the start had problems with the engine oil rising followed by blue/greyish smoke out the exhaust, exaust fumes always seem to smell very strong. My remedy was to have the oil changed every few months. I've since had a brand new DPF fitted and EGR and glow plugs but I'm still having the same problem. I take it on a good run every week to clear the DPF( 70MPH constant for half an hour). On fast acceleration i get a puff of black smoke from 1st to 2nd gear. On inspection of the injectors I've noticed a small amount of diesel on the right hand side injector where it fits in to the engine but cannot physically see where it's leaking from. Would be grateful if you could give me some advice on this and look forward to hearing from you.

#2 ·
Hi Yorke67, Have a look at my reply to Dirty651 Low power and smoking : Your problem sounds similar although as you have a DPF fitted the problem may give other symptoms. If you have a leak in the plumbing after the turbo it will cause the engine to give a lot of soot, this means the system thinks the DPF needs to be cleared and it will inject extra diesel to heat the DPF up, which results in diluted and rising oil. First step is to try to find a leak in the tubes from the turbo to the engine inlet. See also the video linked to Dirty651 as there are other issues described there. I had a similar issue to you and did a DPF delete, it resulted in LOTS of black smoke which was found to be a split rubber tube, replacing just the DPF would have just resulted in a continuing problem as you are experiencing until the DPF gets destroyed. You need to find why it is trying to regenerate all the time. I have now put back a new DPF, reprogrammed back to original and it is all fine! See also this video for more hints

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.