Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all!

I've just acquired a 1997 9000CSE 2.0t and am curious about the factory fitted head unit and single CD player. I have been told that they are by Clarion and there appears to be an amp under the drivers seat. I am keen to have a CD changer instead of the single unit but need to know the specs. of the installation. Also, I think I'll be replacing the speakers - what power is the amp? Any clues?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I sound like a long in the tooth old timer but if you look at the number of posts I've done I'm barely into double figures!!

I asked a very similar question about 2 weeks ago, if you go to search at the top right of the page you can have a good look through all previous posts.

Mines rubbish as well, I'm going to change it for a new head unit, 10" components up front and 6x9" in the rears. Incidentally, these are the std sizes in the cs. The std amp is low power to be honest and you would be better off with a head unit with higher output (>40 watts channel) or a dedicated amplifier of higher output.

At the end of the day, how much loudness and clarity can you afford...

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I checked on the amp under the seat in my cse it is by nokia and is rated on the top as 40.55 watts rms X 4 so the amp is not that low powered, will still be better than most head units unless you go for a sep amp as well, it is as good a sound as my works mondeo v6, my cse has 9x6 Harmon Kardon speakers in the back and i put new boston 6X9 in my cc with a sony amp and ended up with to my ears no better sound than the cse, in the cc the amp was a nokia as well but only 20 watts rms X 4 so i gess they changed them for the cse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for such a quick response!
I think I'll start with the speakers as they are going to be core to the excersize. I've noticed that Halfords are doing a Xmas offer on Infinity 6x9s (half price @ 49.95)but they do need an amp.
I have a Kenwood set up that came out of my Alfa 164 (I miss that V6 soooo much!!!) so that may go in as it has a changer and I'm used to it. I could also add my iPod to that instead of the changer (can't with the SAAB Clarion) too .. hmmm... decisions decisions!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.