Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know is it possible to fit 5 stud onto a my 1997 9000, which I know is 4 stud. I have been told you can buy some type of convertors, does anyone know of this and where I can aquire these from.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Check Speedparts. Their website is in Swedish, unfortunately, but Elkparts is their distributor in the UK.

I intend to get some of these myself in the near future. Last time I checked, the price converted to about £50 per wheel.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
If you do use converters, then you need to take into account their thickness when choosing the offset of the wheels, and add that to the recommended offset to give you the wheel offset.

9000s have quiet a low offset, which is fortunate-about 25mm for a 7" wheel.

The lucky part now is that most newer Saab wheels have an offset 10mm or so greater than this so the adaptor also forms a convenient spacing function. Whatever you do, it's important to keep the offset right or you will end up with rubbing and handling problems.

Lastly, a word of caution. Insurers generally do not like spacers, which is what these would technically be called. I would strongly advise you call them before fitting them, as they will be very easy for an investigator to spot in the unfortunate event of an accident.

Now for the tecchy bit:

Offset is the distance from the wheel center-line (CL) to the wheel mating surface - greater positive offset moves the tires inward (narrower track)

Generally speaking, most road cars have positve offsets. The exception to this is 4WD/SUVs whic tend to have negative offsets

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.