Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all my tired 87 900 has been sitting in the corner for 4 years now only been moved a few times in that time but every time i strap a battery to it starts with no fuss it was the most fun car ive ever driven & one night after one too many we started thinking about pulling the engine & electronics out & stuffing it in to a triumph spitfire. ive seen a previous post on a tr7 but did it work?? from looking it looks like there's enough room under a spitfire bonnet for the dizzy & ancillaries & i might not need a custom exhaust manifold if it fits on upside down, a tr7 sump looks like a good place to start working from the main trouble will be the gearbox what to use as the spit chassis is quite narrow & where do i get a custom bell housing made up.
any input welcome im sure ive seen one in a dolomite sprint once
many thanks dan

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm going to be of no help but would be really interested in how you get on, being the owner of a C900 and a Spitfire. Doesn't sound easy though due to the 900 engine/gearbox arrangement.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok ive done some digging & my triumph guru says a dolly sprint gearbox fits straight on with the backing plate from the dolly engine. im twitching for me spanners, ever time i go out there i think god thats a sexy car can i bring my self to do it..... Dan

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi there,

just some thoughts and points; First of all some history that may help, The Triumph Dolomite range went from the 1300cc to the 1998cc Dolomite Sprint. the 1300cc and the 1500cc were identical twin carb units that were fitted to the spitfire.

the TR7 used the Dolomite 1850cc engine in its first guise there were others and of course up to the TR8 which had the Buick/Rover alloy V8 3500cc which was used in the Rover SD1 at the time and was raced in various including the Dolomite which made that a very hairy car indeed that broadsided for a pastime.

At exactly the same time SAAB were using the Triumph Dolomite 1850 (i think) engine in the SAAB 99 and 99 Turbo.

Whats this all leading to i here you say?

As the spitfire has the same mounts for the engine and the gearbox as the Dolomite 13/1500cc in theory at least any of those engines including the 1850 and the 1998 Sprint engine, ultimately the 3500cc V8 should be able to be fitted with the relevant mounts.

Following that on, as the SAAB had the same engine as the 1850/1998cc the mounts may have to be lost in favour of the Triumph engine mounts but should I think fit. The good news is all these engines had bolt on mounts to the engine at a flush to the engine level so should be a spanner job.

As to the gearboxes, I am not conversant with the SAAB engine/gearbox but as far as the Triumphs are concerned good old BL and their parts cominality most will fit most with a mating plate for that model, so a 1300cc gearbox will fit a 1998cc sprint with and adapter (cant think of any reason you would but there it is) and visa versa. The same applied to Allegro, MGB, MG Midget, Triumph spitfire, TR7, GT6, Marina and Austin, Morris & Wolesley 1800/2200s and Princess 1800/2200 in different ways of course, but you can have a 2200cc 6 cylinder in an Allegro I saw one once in Wolverhampton when i was sixteen that a guy who worked for Charles Clark Group (BL dealer) had done on Saturdays etc. Suspension was bizarre as it had hydrogas and the extra weight made for a jacked up look before Chip Foose thought of it (probably before he was born come to think of! god i feel old!).

I hope that may help give a steer and the very best of luck,

Johnboy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well operation bye bye saab is a go
all the wiring from the bulkhead fwd is out along with the engine management system i was going to have out the rest of the loom, but my hands cer covered in loads of nicks & cuts on the back & im dambed if i can free the the loom from the middle behind the dash beam & the heater matrix shame coz i wanted to take the cruise control out too any one have some tips ??.
next job when i can get a hoist is out with the engine is the haynes way the only way ive searced the forum but no joy HELP!!.
any one need some c900 bits??.
Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts