Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all forum members, a little advice is required if you could be so kind. Im on my third saab (purchased in 2010) and just like the the other two i bought the best car with the best history and didnt just pick up the first fully loaded car for my money i could find. The last two (9000 and 9-5 saloon both petrol) i changed the interior to leather and full electrics and with both i found the upgrade to be straight forward with the loom having the plugs ready to plug and play with the addition of a couple of fuses. My current 9-5 estate tid was basic linear and the first thing i did was to add cruise control to it (a £10 stalk off ebay) pluged it in and away we went simple, but my question is.....
Can you fit an older 9-5 estate interior ie 1999-2000 etc to a newer 9-5 estate mine a 2004 estate?. To be fair im not too concerned that the front seats will fit its more the rear bench seat that im not too sure about. Also if i go for heated seats with electric adjustment then does the loom have the plugs etc ready to plug into like it was with my 98 9-5 saloon? One thing i did notice is on the older door cards there is two holes for both the boot catch and the petrol cap but mine just has the boot catch switch in but im not too fussed about putting a dead swith to fill the hole.
Thanks to you all in advance and unlike a few new users i will repost when i have reached a conclusion,Thanks Paul.

· Registered
687 Posts
Both the front and rear seats will fit, straight swaps, but you will have problems fiting early front seats into a later car (pre-facelift to post). The post facelift front seats have airbag sensors on the runners which aren't on the early ones, if you fit the early ones you will get an airbag warning light. It may be possible to fit the later sensors on the early seats but not sure.

The wiring also changes from pre to post and you will need a wiring diagram (from the WIS). The wiring for the heated seats will be present but probably not for the electric memory unless your car had it as standard. I fitted electric memory and vented seats into my estate and I made up a wiring loom from the WIS, the electric memory was easy, the vented more complicated as it had to be wired thru the dash switches.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So let me see if i have this right we have three basic alterations ie the first model where the front bumper was a seperate unit to the front grill, then you had my model that had the bumper and grill formed into one with a slight grill style change,then you have the last incarnation that had the trim round the front lights etc etc so to keep things simple lets say mk1 mk2 and mk3 and that my car would be mk2. Are you saying that mk1 seats wont fit into mk2 saabs? and did the mk1 have side airbags? Or are you saying that mk2 seats wont fit into mk3?
The only reason i want to fit leather is it is much easier to keep clean and the material my seats are covered in is a bugger to get clean. Im not too fussed about the adjustment be electric as those motors are heavy but i would like the fronts to be heated as its not nice in the winter without.
Thanks for the reply Paul.

· Registered
687 Posts
Not sure about mk3 as I've never worked with those seats, but mk1 and mk2 seats are interchangeable except for the problem with the airbag sensor on mk2 seats. that means that a mk1 front seat in a mk2 car will result in an airbag warning light as the car will not detect the sensor. It may be possible to transfer the sensor onto the mk1 seat.

All front seats have side air bags, the sensor on the runner is to detect how close the seat is to the dash in respect of the dash airbags. Rear seats are no problem to swap between mks as they do not have sensors or airbags.

I would look for mk2 seats for your car as it will be easier for the swap.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now i understand. It could be worth while me having a look at the mk1 seat to see if that sensor can be swapped over if not then a long and indeed painfull search will start for the later seats (like hens teath). I have rang two stroke to turbo and saab surgery and im waiting for a call back from them both. When you removed the seats from your saab what extra conections did you find as standard? and what year was yours? cheers Paul.

· Registered
687 Posts
In my mk1 I fitted memory, heated and vented seats and i managed to get the underseat connector from the donor car. that allowed me to splice my cars wires into that new connector. I needed new wiring for the memory and vented and made up a loom as per the WIS, the heated option was already there.

In my mk2 I fitted memory heated Aero seats (the best if you can find them). I used the connector from my car and made up a simple extra loom for the memory option, again the heated was already there. With the WIS its not difficult. Don't switch your ignition on whilst the seats are dis-connected as you will get an airbag warning.

Try looking on ebay as there are always people breaking 9-5's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.