Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, help, advice please. sorry for long explanation.

SAAB 9-5 Aero S-A Estate Petrol 2290 CC/ 240 G/KM Chassis YS3EH59G173503470

RJ56 WBL Variant E5G version EURO4A501

I’ve idling problems with my car when hot (after approx 7miles) it will cut when stationary. I’ve included a back story in hope this might help diagnostics.

In June I purchased SAAB 9-5, (173K) drove 45 miles back from Brighton. Drove perfectly. Next day drove from Bognor - Bournemouth - perfect to Bournemouth. The seller seemed genuine and said he’d had no problems with car. At Bournemouth the engine cut whilst waiting at a junction, it was then a little tricky to start. I managed to drive the car home without too many problems, engine light did come on. When home the next day I checked the oil (whilst cold) and the transmission oil seemed low, I topped up. I should have checked after just having bought it and before long journey but in a rush didn’t - also seller seemed sensible and shouldn’t have had too.

The next day I drove 9 miles to Chichester, parked up visited shop the car on return struggled to start. I waited a while then it started, at lights, junctions and other possible hold up points (congested traffic) the car engine can cut (when stationary) so potentially can get stuck on a busy roundabout etc.

I’d like to get the car sorted but on a very limited budget. I’ve noticed that the problem occurs when the engine gets hot, the idling sounds a little inconsistant and is then prone to cut especially if stationary. In the morning or the first use of the car that day the car reliably starts perfect and drives perfectly til approx 7miles or hot. I drive with the bonnet open allowing cool air to flow thru also when at destination shops etc, I open the bonnet and allow heat to escape quicker it is then more reliable once cooled again. Water rarely needs topping up just once since purchased and not much so its not loosing any coolant.

I’ve changed spark plugs, spray cleaned maff sensor didn’t make much difference.

its suggested it could be coil pack, crack in the head (opens only when engine hot), thermostat, relays, fuel filter, vacuum hoses

can anyone please advise tips to anything else it could be any cheap potential fixes.

I may consider buying a car diagnostics tool would you recommend any specific model. also if it is the coil pack these are expensive when searching for saab model is there a compatible model.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,695 Posts
2ndsaab,

This sounds like the classical crank position sensor ( CPS ) problem. OK when cold and difficult to start when hot. Sensors are pretty cheap but a bit fiddly to swap. It lives down the front of the engine sort of behind and to the right ( looking from the front ) of the exhaust. The sensor, and its little shield are held in place by a 10 mm bolt. Just awkward to get at. Make sure the old 'O' ring is removed otherwise the air gap won't be correct.

The resistance should be 860 +/- 90 ohms. If you test it remember that the resistance increases significantly as it heats up, thus the hot start and running problems.

Paul @ Kippen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, many thanks for taking the time to reply. I'd also requested help on another saab forum and the experts say the same. I've ordered a CPS and will attempt to fit this I've already tried to get the old one off to clean but can't get access to star bolt. I wondered whether to remove the o2 sensor coming off the exhaust to allow more access but being a novice I'm not sure what consequences doing that could cause.

Unfortunately day before yesterday car stalled at road works lights I got out to push onto the grass verge and have severely damaged my achilles tendon now in a foot brace. didn't want to drive car till fixed but disabled adult son needed to get out - bad day.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, many thanks for taking the time to reply. I'd also requested help on another saab forum and the experts say the same. I've ordered a CPS and will attempt to fit this I've already tried to get the old one off to clean but can't get access to star bolt. I wondered whether to remove the o2 sensor coming off the exhaust to allow more access but being a novice I'm not sure what consequences doing that could cause.

Unfortunately day before yesterday car stalled at road works lights I got out to push onto the grass verge and have severely damaged my achilles tendon now in a foot brace. didn't want to drive car till fixed but disabled adult son needed to get out - bad day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts