Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

My mate took a couple of videos of me setting off from 0 to 60.

I've chucked them in 2 Flash files (URLs below). File size is approx 150K so it might take a few moments to download. You can launch in your browser or right click and save to your machine.

My main problem is grip at 23mph onwards in first gear - the front end spins and jumps around and thats in the dry
. My tyres have loads left but have got to a stage of not performing like they used to when they were a month old!

Video 1

Video 2

Ps. this was with no other road users and the speed limit was 70mph so I was just making progress and not doing anything illegal
. If any of the forum guys don't want this post on then I have no problems with you removing it

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have the Abbott Aero remap which is a supposed 275bhp (I fitted an Aero engine and turbo when the LPT one broke!) and the only other thing I'm currently using is the new BP fuel (100 octane rating) which has made a massive improvement.

Of course this is a crude way of getting a 0-60 figure but it's good enough for me using the Flash frame/second rate as I don't want spend £150+ on the speed readerg-force thingy ma bob - can't remember what it's called

As I said previously I can't get the wheels to grip with full throttle in first gear above 23mph. It has been suggested in previous posts that a possible change to suspension bushes could help. Any ideas

... and no I'm not going to chop some toes off to lighten my right foot

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Some abbott suspension might help fix the problem. Driving a Viggen I know what it's like to have problems with traction.
There isn't always a great deal you can do about it except be more carefull with the throttle. Launching my car stock on only 5-6 psi is hard enough. (More often than not flooring it in 1st just resulted in tirespin, especially with the Pirellis ... ick. ) I don't dare to think what it'll be when it's upgraded.
Good luck though. Saabs were never great 0-60 cars, might try 0-100 and see how well it does at that. Ta.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Originally posted by jimmyjims:
[qb]and the only other thing I'm currently using is the new BP fuel (100 octane rating) which has made a massive improvement.[/qb][/b]
I thought BP's ultimate fuel was a disappointing 97RON, but the benefits being improved cleaning etc

Unless we are talking about a different product?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Actually Marky if you pause the video of your car as the speedo first begins to move (time juuust before 1), then pause it just before 100 kph (about time = 6, 100 kph = 62 mph so 60 is just before 6 seconds) you get about a 5 second difference. Which would give you a conservative 0-60 of between 5-6 seconds. In fact, interestingly enough a friend of mine with a fairly well tuned WRX does 0-80 mph in about 11-12 seconds. (80 mph = 129 kph) Your car does it in 9-10 seconds. I think I might show him that video. *insert evil Saab-nut laugh here*

btw fast Auto's aren't as crazy as it may sound ... www.thedodgegarage.com has a 10 second 1/4 mile 1985 Plymouth Reliant Auto. The torque converter and clutches don't last long on it, but it's still a very capable machine. They found turbo autos were faster in a drag race because they didn't have to close the throttle and dump boost between gears. Also the chryslers were 3 speed autos, and were faster than the equvalent 5 speed manuals, just imagine 4 and 5 speed autos. Interesting stuff, and great video.
Keep on Saabin'

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'd be well happy with the results and I'm sure Saab would too... they quote 7.8 seconds for the Aero auto and thats with 250bhp. You sure that wasn't going down hill !?

I've put the two videos together to compare (see URL below). An interesting thing I noticed is the auto goes up to approx 45mph instead of 30mph in the manual. The gear change is also quicker with the auto - on the manual you can see the speedo struggling when changed into second gear.

video 3 - 0-60 compare

I'm not sure what the BP stuff is, but the car is much more responsive with it in it's tank - better than optimax. The other possiblity is the engine has reached 20,000 miles now so could it have possibly loosened up?

I think I will try a few more 0-60 runs when I have a good set of tyres and see if this will overcome the grip problem.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
That Auto is very quick from 0-60mph, but from 80-120 kph it takes nearly 5 seconds. (My stock Viggen takes roughly 4 and a Vigge's modded one roughly 3) This is a more accurate representation of the actual power the engine is trasnfering to the wheels. Nevertheless! Marky's auto shows how fast even a less than Aero spec (or nearabouts Aero spec) Saab could be if it had either a) lots of traction or B) a really quick shifting driver and few boost restrictions.

The video also makes very clear the inherant advantages of an auto. His 1st gear goes to almost 50 mph, if you had that tall a gear in a manual starting would be very difficult. HIgh performance autos may not last as long, but can clearly give some tough competition in the occasional stoplight dual. Good stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts