Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two flood events in the last year and the problem of drying out the carpets I have now found out (I think) why it does it. The drain from the air con under the dash runs out to the engine compartment. It has been stated that cleaning the pipe cures the problem, I did and then it flooded again. The exit which carries the water is open ended and horizontal with a sponge collar around it presumably to stop water ingress. Since this pipe is horizontal it would seem easy for water to run back into the car when pointing up hill. On the inside bulkhead wall there is a drain hopper which is held on to the bulkhead by two clips, I have removed this hopper from the clips and repositioned it so now the whole pipe system is down towards the front, a bit of extra flexi pipe is needed. The condensate draining out is running faster than ever before and the hopper which is the bit that you are supposed to clean with a bit of wire was squeaky clean anyway. Since there appears to be very little on the web about this with a 9 3 I wonder anyone else got the same problem. Of course the water drips in quite slowly probably over a period of weeks or months the first you see of it is when the rear offside RHD footwell is jolly wet. All down to ease of manufacture I suppose but what a pain.

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
what yr 9-3!!

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
the drain for the a/c is located on the drivers side firewall(engine bay),i'm guessing your on about the drain for the scuttle,where the pollen filter housing is..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are indeed two vents from the scuttle area one each side these are totally clean. The air con drain is low down on the firewall behind the power steering pump/oil reservoir, the leak being from on the inside of the car above the left foot rest (RHD) as the system is set any leaks will find there way down and into the drivers and rear seat footwell.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Your going to have to bite the bullet & go taking bits to pieces to find that ........ Could just be a leaky joint on the condensate drain line .... Or somthing ugly like a pin hole in the heater matrix ..... Failing that drill a hole in the floor of the car to allow it to drain ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just had exactly the same problem in my 9-3 Vector Sport saloon 2008. Had soaking wet rear offside footwell. Thought it was rain water to begin with but managed to get it dried and then turned the air con off and it stopped completely. Took it to a garage who found the air con drain point (covered with a black bung with a cross upon it). He took this off and blasted some air up it and it seems to have solved the issue

·
SaabScene.com Premium Member
1,136 Posts
You guys sure it's not running down the rear window and then through the door card? This is what I had the other week, it's been happening for 2 years but I've been lucky. I ran a load of water tests and found that if I run a hose down the window seal it was running through the door card and then pooling in the scuffplate and running onto the rear carpet, needed to reseal the water barrier and job fixed! Also, a good tip if your pads are wet is to wedge a load of newspaper underneath the carpet before it starts to dry and go damp!

So if I were you I'd just test the seals, you can do this with the door open and feel under the doorcard - if it's wet get it sorted!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just had exactly the same problem in my 9-3 Vector Sport saloon 2008. Had soaking wet rear offside footwell. Thought it was rain water to begin with but managed to get it dried and then turned the air con off and it stopped completely. Took it to a garage who found the air con drain point (covered with a black bung with a cross upon it). He took this off and blasted some air up it and it seems to have solved the issue
hey there do you know where exactly the drain point was?, I need to clear mine out, thank you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts