Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm obviously stupid.

What were you driving, a Saab or an Alfa, and what is your "powerbox"?

Just think, you could sell me one!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks.... this is almost as ugly as the latest 9-5. Why try to look like a BMW? Why the chrome? Horrid. I hope my only ever email to SAAB GB has some effect
although I doubt it. Bring on the Aero-X though - I'd buy one!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I like the "aggressive" look of the front, but would prefer less chrome.

At the risk of being shot down, lambasted and ridiculed the front reminds me of a lowered T16s, sort of stealth like but purposeful.

I'm going to regret this aren't I

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I must agree with the majority of opinions aired on this site re: the overuse of gross chrome mascara on the new Saab 9-3 Sport Combi. Jokes about GM having purchased tonnes of chrome (tons of chrone on this side of the Atlantic) were born in 1958 when gobs of the stuff appeared on big boxy Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs. One of the legacies of that 'style' is the fact that nobody likes the Chevrolet Corvettes of that period. A Saab dealer in New Jersey went out of his way to point out that the chrome surrounds on the '07 9-5 headlights was a Swedish design. It's horrible how easily some people can lie. When GM bought Saab I hoped that the small marque would be held out as an example of quality engineering. I thought (unrealisticly) that the General would keep Saab immune from yearly style change fluff.Using the small volume company to advance the practice of selling less flashy cars.I hpoe that RJH of Glascow was referring to sales volume when he cited the "fat American market". I couldn't take much offense if he wasn't. I frequently employ the acronym SACBP, for Stupid American Car Buying Public. Why do touted examples of 'platform sharing' result in so few noteworthy vehicles? I love the 2002 9-5 Linear wagon my girlfriend bought 7 days ago. Cheers, George

·
Registered
752 Posts
Having seen the high res pics on the Spanish site, I'll change my opinion.

Upwards.

This car is absolutely gorgeous from the front end. Styling is only ever a matter of opinion (please note Sunday Times reviewers esp Cackson and Frankel) but mine is that this is a natural Saab look. We all applauded it in the concept cars - so what if it has a bit of chrome? The chrome fits the look of this car where it doesn't on most Yank tanks and doesn't on the 9-5.

For me, this is how this car should have looked on day one.

And if this rumoured Black Turbo materialises, with AWD (not normally something I'm bonkers about but it has to keep 300bhp on the road), I will have the first one in the UK, please.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not keen on all that OTT chrome effect either (especially around the fogs) but the car looks awesome in silver!
It could have been much, much worse. I have to admit the the 95's 'Dame Edna' look has grown on me but like
many cars today (95, BMW 3/5 series), the paint choice can dramatically effect the appearance of the car.

In silver, I can see the influences of the current BMW 3 series, Lexus IS and the A4 but it still looks quite sleek.
No sculpted body lines like the BM and not too stupidly aggressive looking.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts