Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi fellow Saab owners,
My name is Colin Prince and I’m writing from Tropical Queensland Australia. I hope that you are keeping ahead of the Covid Virus!!,,,
I have a Saab 9-3 2004 four door Turbo, which runs well, BUT, every so often the engine light appears and it runs rough for a while and the engine seems shakey! When I hook it up to my OB2 reader, it shows a code # P 0638 Throttle actuator control range Bank 1. I’ve taken it in to several garages ( my nearest Saab dealer is three days drive South of Cairns. ) and I’ve replaced just about everything including the accelerator pedal, spark plugs, and had the throttle body cleaned, but still get this code out of the blue. My latest mechanic is a great guy, but he’s at a loss as to what to next?
can anyone out there help me to pin-point the problem Please?
Thanks for reading and keep safe and well.
Best regards,
Colin Prince

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Colin, the P0638 code is quite generic, and it seems that you've covered quite a few bases already. I am assuming that your mechanic replaced the throttle position sensor along with the pedal system. Any loose or broken wiring connections or harnesses can throw this fault up, but are extremely hard to pinpoint.

The ECM is the link between the throttle position sensor and the throttle body, so could be the culprit if any connections or the unit itself is faulty. However other systems can effect the throttle body that could send you on a wild goose chase. Traction systems and ABS can effect the actuation of the throttle body, and so if this part of the loom has been damaged, it can cause a knock on effect. I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Colin, the P0638 code is quite generic, and it seems that you've covered quite a few bases already. I am assuming that your mechanic replaced the throttle position sensor along with the pedal system. Any loose or broken wiring connections or harnesses can throw this fault up, but are extremely hard to pinpoint.

The ECM is the link between the throttle position sensor and the throttle body, so could be the culprit if any connections or the unit itself is faulty. However other systems can effect the throttle body that could send you on a wild goose chase. Traction systems and ABS can effect the actuation of the throttle body, and so if this part of the loom has been damaged, it can cause a knock on effect. I hope this helps a little.
Thanks so much for your advice. I saw a video on YouTube where the ECM was coked up and changing it made a huge difference, so that's going to be my next step. Keep safe and thanks again.

·
Administrator
5,061 Posts
check the H42-2 connector for corrosion on the pins..located underneath the battery tray area..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check the H42-2 connector for corrosion on the pins..located underneath the battery tray area..
Thanks very much, I’ll check it as soon as possible. Ill take a look and let you know. Thanks again. Keep safe. Colin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts