Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just replaced the battery on my 2012 convertible, I now have an error msg 'Steering lock malfunction' and the car will not start. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this happen on my 2007 9-3. Reading around it seemed to be the CIM. I have a local Saab expert so he came to my house with a Tech-II. He said it wasn't the CIM, but rather the center console switch. He removed the console driver side front panel and connected a spare harness and switch to the car and the error went away. I picked up a switch and harness from a junk yard and it worked. I took my old switch out and disassembled it (since I had a working one, I experimented.) I thought maybe some crud or liquid had fallen into the switch. Inside the switch I found corrosion on some contacts. I cleaned them and lubed the switch.. It worked. Maybe try switching the switch on and off a lot hoping the contacts make better contact.Maybe the computer needs rebooted? Disconnect the battery & see?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you tmontgomksu. I had the CIM replaced last summer. Apparently, when reconnecting the battery, the sidelights should be switched on. I disconnected and reconnected and, lo and behold, it worked. However, the fault msg appears intermittently and can also be extinguished by removing the key, turning it 180 degrees and replacing it in the ignition. Magic!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Two things are very common with the ng 9-3s. If you park with the wheel turned it is not uncommon to get the message. You have to turn the wheel a little to relieve the pressure on the lock and sometimes put the key in and out a few times. Irritating but nothing is broken just the way they are sometimes.

Also, I have a 05 and 07 and have had to replace/ repair/clean the key switch on both over the years. Another common failure unfortunately. But please be sure before replacing the switch. It is easy to swap the switch unit but they are getting more expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Two things are very common with the ng 9-3s. If you park with the wheel turned it is not uncommon to get the message. You have to turn the wheel a little to relieve the pressure on the lock and sometimes put the key in and out a few times. Irritating but nothing is broken just the way they are sometimes.

Also, I have a 05 and 07 and have had to replace/ repair/clean the key switch on both over the years. Another common failure unfortunately. But please be sure before replacing the switch. It is easy to swap the switch unit but they are getting more expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found a switch at the local junk yard. I also got the harness. I leaned and lubed the switch and now keep the harness and switch in the car. I was 500 miles away from home when I first got my error telling me to pull over safely! Now, I can remove a single panel and plug in the external harness and switch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts