Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently, I get this a/m msg while driving. Still driveable, however when parked with engine running unable to shift away from P ( lever at Parked). After shutting engine and restarting I’m not able to turn the start sw. However this is not consistent, sometimes able to start and move the car without the msg, but Msg appears after sometime with inconsistent repercussions.
I’m told the fault lies in the CMS ( a central electronic system) on the steering column. Not sure this component can still be purchased.
Any suggestions please.

·
Registered
4 Posts
recently, I get this a/m msg while driving. Still driveable, however when parked with engine running unable to shift away from P ( lever at Parked). After shutting engine and restarting I’m not able to turn the start sw. However this is not consistent, sometimes able to start and move the car without the msg, but Msg appears after sometime with inconsistent repercussions.
I’m told the fault lies in the CMS ( a central electronic system) on the steering column. Not sure this component can still be purchased.
Any suggestions please.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same car: 2007 9-3 2.0 convertible and I get the same message. Sometimes the car will start. Sometimes not. Several years ago I replaced the Ignition Switch Module (ISM) but now it is "back." Here is what my mechanic said: "This malfunction is a miscommunication between the CIM (Column Interface Module) and the ISM (Ignition Switch Module) where you insert the key. When everything is working properly and you put the key in the ISM it sends a signal to the CIM. This allows the steering wheel to "Unlock", turn fuel pump on and allow the vehicle to start and the alarm system to deactivate. When you get that message it will not allow one or more of those functions to happen."

The ISM replacement with labor is about $500 (US) and the CIM is about the same, I believe, or more. A real, real pain in these cars. I'm to the point I am considering getting it condition to sell. Love the car, but there is always something going on... and one of my roof cylinders is leaking (not horribly) and that is $1,000 to fix. And that's for one cylinder.

Starting to look at newer hard top convertibles. $$$.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts