Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all ive bought a 9-3 aero 2005, the sound is completely crap, for what i can see ive got ICM1, 2 speakers at the back shelf and two in the front dashboard, theres no speakers in the front doors or in the middle of the dashboard, but im confused after reading this http://www.saabscene.com/forum/threads/169490-9-3-audio-details-2003-2006 i looked under the seat and there is an Amp there!! theres no amp at the back just the cables for it, theres no power coming to them though ( maybe a fuse) so if ive got the 4 speaker system why is the amp under the seat? or have they been removed? it seems a bit much work for someone just to remove 3 speakers dont you think?

Now i do have a Vibe Deathbox Stereo 4, 1400 Watts Amplifier, 4/3/2 Channel's, a set of 6'9 for the back shelf, and a xplod SUB, line converter, and all the cables, i was going to tap the back speakers for the line converter to get the needed rca for the amp! i was going to start doing it but stopped when i found the amp under the seat! oh!! and i was going to get a smaller amp and a set of speakers for the front doors, but now i dont know should i just try and see if theres is any cable going to the front doors? and connect some speakers to see if the amp under the seat works?

any sugestions solutions would be much apreciated.

thank you.

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
If you have the amp then you should have the doors and centre speakers.

Get a meter and check the voltage from the cables in the doors if there's a voltage get on the bay and get a couple of speakers for £30 get the factory ones as decent aftermarket will set you back a couple of hundred as you need shallow mount subs Earthquake SWS are the ones you want should you go down that route.

Deathbox is decent but not sure on the Xlpod, I'd personally bin it and get the black death sub, the sub will need to be tapped off Amp1 under passenger seat as this is where the bass output is the rest are filtered outputs.

Have you had the door cards off to check the speakers are there or not? Or are you guessing as you cannot hear anything from them?

Removed the plug from the amp and check for red lights do not look into the light as it is a laser, if the light is there then the amp is getting a signal if the amps getting a signal and there genuinely isn't any door speakers do the above and check for voltage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have the amp then you should have the doors and centre speakers.

Get a meter and check the voltage from the cables in the doors if there's a voltage get on the bay and get a couple of speakers for £30 get the factory ones as decent aftermarket will set you back a couple of hundred as you need shallow mount subs Earthquake SWS are the ones you want should you go down that route.

saab amp.jpg

Deathbox is decent but not sure on the Xlpod, I'd personally bin it and get the black death sub, the sub will need to be tapped off Amp1 under passenger seat as this is where the bass output is the rest are filtered outputs.

Have you had the door cards off to check the speakers are there or not? Or are you guessing as you cannot hear anything from them?

Removed the plug from the amp and check for red lights do not look into the light as it is a laser, if the light is there then the amp is getting a signal if the amps getting a signal and there genuinely isn't any door speakers do the above and check for voltage.
first of all thanks for the info.
i went to the car removed the door panel and guess what? there is a speaker there then checked the central one in the dash speaker there again, i just could not here them well theres no sound coming off them anyway!! the amp does have a red light on couldnt really see if the it was unpluged though, so have the amp in my desk as we speak i opened it all seems fine to me, going to put it back in the car now and see, i do not have a meter to check the voltage but i will get one.
thank for the tip on the sub, speakers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first of all thanks for the info.
i went to the car removed the door panel and guess what? there is a speaker there then checked the central one in the dash speaker there again, i just could not here them well theres no sound coming off them anyway!! the amp does have a red light on couldnt really see if the it was unpluged though, so have the amp in my desk as we speak i opened it all seems fine to me, going to put it back in the car now and see, i do not have a meter to check the voltage but i will get one.
thank for the tip on the sub, speakers.
somehow the picture of my amp is on your post!!

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
somehow the picture of my amp is on your post!!
LOL God knows what happened there then.

Check both doors for speakers and remove the centre grill and make sure all are there first.

I assume they will all be there but chances are your amp 1 is knackered. It is possible the previous owner decided instead of replacing the amp he has bypassed the optics as a cheap alternative to get the head unit on again as they are in an optical loop which if broken (AMP1 is dead) nothing else in the loop will work so you will have no stereo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL God knows what happened there then.

Check both doors for speakers and remove the centre grill and make sure all are there first.

I assume they will all be there but chances are your amp 1 is knackered. It is possible the previous owner decided instead of replacing the amp he has bypassed the optics as a cheap alternative to get the head unit on again as they are in an optical loop which if broken (AMP1 is dead) nothing else in the loop will work so you will have no stereo.

ok all speakers are there, i found some wires cut from the amp to the speakers i will post a couple of pictures have a look and let me know what you think.
thank you. theres a 4 wires cut on the amp plug im guessing they are the speakers.
IMG_2104.jpg IMG_2100.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Couldn't see the optical cables in the second post
If you disconnect the amp will the radio turn on & work?

Looks like previous owner bypassed amp & fitted aftermarket one for doors

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Couldn't see the optical cables in the second post
If you disconnect the amp will the radio turn on & work?

Looks like previous owner bypassed amp & fitted aftermarket one for doors
the optical cable is there and connected red light is on, and yes it did turn on after i removed the amp, ill have to find out where that connection for the speakers goes! i might just pull the cables lol.

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
if the radio worked when amp was removed you will have to go into the a pillar and plumb the optical cables back into the loop.. amp1 should be last iirc on your setup...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if the radio worked when amp was removed you will have to go into the a pillar and plumb the optical cables back into the loop.. amp1 should be last iirc on your setup...
you lost me there! havent got a clue.
i might try and reconnect one speaker to the amp just to see if the amp is working ok!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
you said in #8 post that you removed the amp and the radio control module still worked... as suggested above amp1 sounds like its been by passed as the radio shouldn't have worked with a break in the obus...
sorry just read again on a phone as laptops broken...

you said you can see the light coming from the optical cable so light getting down there.. is the in / out cables open ? ie not connected together to act as a by pass on the block for the amp sorry can't see the photos properly due to being a on a phone but the PIC with the block looked really molested

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you said in #8 post that you removed the amp and the radio control module still worked... as suggested above amp1 sounds like its been by passed as the radio shouldn't have worked with a break in the obus...

you said you can see the light coming from the optical cable so light getting down there.. is the in / out cables open ? ie not connected together to act as a by pass on the block for the amp sorry can't see the photos properly due to being a on a phone but the PIC with the block looked really molested
i do think i turned it on after i removed the amp, but i will double check on sunday, i will remove the amp and see if the optical cable is bypassed, im not a genius at this though lol, i will take some better pictures as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

hi, ive just unpluged the amp and the radio dont turn on at all, does that mean it was not by passed? im going to try and connect a speaker to the amp, see if the amp works!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMG_2111.jpg IMG_2112.jpg IMG_2113.jpg IMG_2114.jpg
look what ive found an amp hidden away, it works fine just had the gain turned all the way down i turned it up and there was sound coming of the door speakers, not the middle one im guessing that it is disconnected, i can touch what it seems to be a line converter going to have to remove the cd player and the climate unit to have a better look and im guessing that they tapped from the back of the original radio for the line converter! now for my big amp that i want to put in the back should i tap the back small speakers for the RCA?? or should i just use a Y splitter from the existing one at the front??? any sugestions? thanks peoples!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
View attachment 13601 View attachment 13609 View attachment 13617 View attachment 13625
look what ive found an amp hidden away, it works fine just had the gain turned all the way down i turned it up and there was sound coming of the door speakers, not the middle one im guessing that it is disconnected, i can touch what it seems to be a line converter going to have to remove the cd player and the climate unit to have a better look and im guessing that they tapped from the back of the original radio for the line converter! now for my big amp that i want to put in the back should i tap the back small speakers for the RCA?? or should i just use a Y splitter from the existing one at the front??? any sugestions? thanks peoples!
just been for a drive and ive found that my indicators beep is really loud! really dont like that :-(

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Without knowing what they have fitted the loc to i wouldn't fit another one as the existing one could be connected to the rear output in which case the headunit would have to drive the speaker & 2x locs, most locs are designed to replace the speaker so are relatively low resistance to provided some loading to the amp so by having 2 & a speaker could damage the headunitThe reason the car sounds are louder is because you have put alot of gain on the amp, you will have to set the level for the amp with the indicator going to try to balance the sound with the rest of the speakers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Without knowing what they have fitted the loc to i wouldn't fit another one as the existing one could be connected to the rear output in which case the headunit would have to drive the speaker & 2x locs, most locs are designed to replace the speaker so are relatively low resistance to provided some loading to the amp so by having 2 & a speaker could damage the headunitThe reason the car sounds are louder is because you have put alot of gain on the amp, you will have to set the level for the amp with the indicator going to try to balance the sound with the rest of the speakers
thank you, heres a picture from where they went for the loc, but cant really tell if they are the front oe back speakears, i will just use a Y splitter for the second RCA then!!
but i havent yet tested the existing Amp1 to see if it works!
thank you. IMG_2118.jpg IMG_2117.jpg

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
Turn the gain down to reduce the sound of those.

Y splitter off that amp :)

I'd personally be tempted to rip all the after market stuff out and replace the AMP1 with a working AMP.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Turn the gain down to reduce the sound of those.

Y splitter off that amp :)

I'd personally be tempted to rip all the after market stuff out and replace the AMP1 with a working AMP.
yes i have done that no more loud tack tack every time i indicate, yes i did look on ebay but a Amp1 is over £200 so a bit much me thinks, i need a pair of door speakers to improve the front a bit more any suggestions??

Now i did connect the vibe death box at the back and tried the Y splitter, but the sound was all at the front if i fadded it to the back on the head unit i would get only the sound from the 2 small speakers at the back, so what i did was tapped the back speakers with a converter for the RCA for the back amp, it works fine theres plenty of bass on the 6'9s and the sub, now just have to tied it all up i was thinking of fixing the amp under the back shelf so its out of the way! now i did read somewhere that if i tapped the small back speakers for the RCA that i would not get any bass!! i dont think thats what happened i cant really tell any different! has anyone heard about this? thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
update!! i went down the route of fitting a new single din stereo where the original CD player is, pretty easy done, only had to remove the cd player, connect some cables and that was it really,
12v Constant Power- ( Yellow ) - Harness on back of factory tuner
12v Ignition Power- ( Red ) - Cig lighter plug
Ground- ( Black ) - Cig lighter plug
Antenna Wire- bought an adapter £3.00 on ebay
Illumination Wire- ( Orange/White ) light surrounding the cigarette lighter

i only have the front door speakers connected to the new stereo and this was made easy as the previous owner fitted a small aftermarket amp in place of amp1 so the cables were there, as for the back i have 2 sets of rca's one for the amp that powers my 6'9's at the back shelf, and another for the sub ( vibe enclosed sub ), now im just trying to see if i can get the steering wheel remote control's back to work on the new stereo, does anyone know if it can be done?
thank you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts