Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have an mot due next week and have had a headlight levelling malfunction appearing in the Sid each time 8 start up. This clears ok but the headlights aren’t levelling like they used to on start up

Does anyone know how to fix this and would this fail the mot?

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
It will fail the MOT if the headlamp alignment is incorrect, just had the same problem see Levelling sensor post. There is a sensor on a bracket just in front of the LH track control arm, mine had rusted away so the sensor was hanging by its harness and the ball joint linkage. I made a new bracket and just have to check the alignment against the house wall when its dark against my other car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You were so right @Spannerman ,

Went to Saab west London yesterday and they ran a diagnostic check on the sensor for the headlights and it needs a new sensor and they told me it would take 2-3 weeks for the pet to come from Sweden.

They also found some other things wrong.

Requires new track rodent Front side drop links have play and need new ones. Oil leak from gearbox require investigation.

I have attached the heath check report - all in all over £1000 and a pic of the leak.

Does anyone know a good trusted Saab dealer in central london for a second opinion and if there is anywhere I can get the sensor part quicker?

A lot of money to fork out and especially re the gearbox link which will be more most likely after the investigation?!

Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
You are being ripped off, I replaced both front drop links on my 9-3 in under an hour and they were about £30 each from an autofactor. The sensor price is right as my local dealer quoted the same but I only needed the bracket which you can’t buy seperately, so made a new one from sheet steel and saved myself £270 for an hours work!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are being ripped off, I replaced both front drop links on my 9-3 in under an hour and they were about £30 each from an autofactor. The sensor price is right as my local dealer quoted the same but I only needed the bracket which you can’t buy seperately, so made a new one from sheet steel and saved myself £270 for an hours work!
Thanks for confirming that! As an update I had to get both the front and rear headlight levelling sensors replaced and it passed MOT with the drop links marked as an advisory.
I wish I was able to do these myself, but would need to take this to another garage to get sorted. Do you know of a good one that deals with Saab near London?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts