Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys & Gals - Got "SAAB 9-3 2.2TiD 2001 Year" (Vauxhall engine) Have removed cylinder head to fix glow plug issues etc, Reassembled, and upon cranking it over, it sounds like theres no compression and will not start up, (was hoping & expecting it to fire up with a bit of smoke) but nothing, I primed the fuel system ok, And noticed the ECM light on that displays "P1631 Spill valve" DTC Present everytime I clear it, The DTC isnt concerning me yet as the engine sounds like no compression which is what Im currently trying to sort out first.

Anyone heard or advise on this one?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Is timing correctly set? Head properly torqued? All components installed? :) Did you try measuring the compression?

If everything is correct than note, that when you disconnected fuel lines, all diesel had flown back to the tank. As there is no fuel pump, just main injection pump, it takes approx. forever for it to pull fuel. Have you tried to start with starting spray (with glow plugs disconnected!)?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Havent measured compression, Have spent many hours checking & checking timing all aligned etc, Did prime the fuel lines prior to starting, I have
a electric primer pump I use (Used to use for poor starting) that is pumping fuel through the pump and out of the overspill lines fine, Have tried "Easy Start" can smell that coming through the exhaust, Still having code "P1631 Spill valve relay" constantly on even after clearing and resetting, (Havent touched any relays anywhere) Think mine is the 16 pump as has two plugs attached to the pump, Will double check head torque bolts and checking the two pump plugs this after noon (now)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
P1631 means different faults (believe it or not) on different vehicles, http://www.dtcsearch.com/P1631/ - Totally confusing as thought international rules made it universally the same everywhere, And note the GM writing for it!

On the "OP-COM" diagnose it shows "P1631 Spill valve relay" Now coincidentally when trying to start, I can smell easy start but not diesel, So Im guessing the valve is inoperative and preventing fuel heading out to the injector lines, Ive spend many many hours reading absolute everything on the VP44 pump and found a very good write up on how all the parts play their part/failures, Friday Im going to back feed the fuel through the pump (ie pull it through the feed line back to tank so it pull it from the return, Then Im RELAY hunting under the knee fuse/relay areas as cant find anything showing Spill Valve Relay but more likely will be under title of EDC or Fuel pump etc etc , wish me luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting torque sequence on these engines too: 25nm then 65° plus 65° plus 65° plus 65° yep I totally agree with the thought on this process, Why did SAAB ever team up with Vauxhall grrrrr

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having removed the ECU from the pump, Discovered 2 wires feeding one of the valves at the back of pump completely stripped of all insulation (Diesel ingress) at the same time, I will be changing a transistor (common failure allegedly) and re-insulating the valve wires, If it then starts then good, If it dont, then sad...!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts