Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Saab 9-3 2.0t 2002 auto box issue

Tags
box issue
2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Christmas 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, my auto box has decided to play up, when driving it's all ok until 3rd gear where it just drops drive and engine revs, I have switched to manual and again as I select 3rd gear again drive stops and engine revs. As the speed drops again as it selects 2nd it clicks back into drive again? Any help would be great.If you keep in manual drive in second and increase drive to the speed it would go into 4th you can puts stick inti 3rd then straight into 4th and it selects 4th and drive continues and then up into 5th with no issues until you go back down into 3rd then drive has gone again??

#2 ·
hello I am a newbie to Saabs as well so I don't know the common faults, but with your auto box have you done the basic check. i.e is the ATF low? if not what colour is the fluid? does it need changing? also does these box have a filter? if so maybe that need changing. Hopefully someone who know about Saabs will give you more help.

#3 ·
Get the fluid checked / changed would be the first thought.

Just last week my autobox (1.9 TiD engine) started to lose drive, and give me really clunky up-shifts 2nd to 3rd.

I asked a local garage to drain and refill the gearbox. It wouldn't be a massive DIY problem so long as you have access to a ramp, as you need the car in the air but level. I bought my own fluid and for £40 labour the garage changed it for me.

The result is that the gearbox is noticeably smoother, up-shifts and down-shifts are quick and clean, and the car is much nicer to drive. Also the 2nd to 3rd clunk has disappeared.

The car was on 75,000 miles and had been due a fluid change anyway - at 72,000 according to the service book. But having seen the foul and filthy state and colour of the stuff that came out I'm certainly not going to wait another 72,000 miles before getting it changed. I'd say it ought to be done perhaps every other service, so every 36,000 miles.

What's a bit frustrating is that had i known how black the fluid was I'd have changed it before now. My previous car (Volvo) had a dipstick, and it was easy to keep an eye on the fluid. This Saab has no such facility and so I just accepted the service book recommendation for the fluid change interval. The old Volvo I had had a 'sealed for life' autobox, and got to 300,000 miles on the original fluid - which was still in pretty good shape - clear and reddish-brown - even after all those miles.

Cheers

Jack

#4 ·
I changed my auto fluid at just over 40k miles - it's an 11 plate model and the garage said it was due based on age rather than mileage. Changes much smoother and more responsive to foot on gas, so worth it. (Also had it Hirsched at same time, so don't know if that also made a difference.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.