Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I have recently discovered that my Saab has a broken wire under the fusebox, diagnosed with the help of saab forum's. Pulled the red relay out and bridged wire between terminal 30 and 87. My question is would it be safe to drive to my mechanic for repair bearing in mind his garage is a good 10 - 12 mile away. Last thing I want to do is fry ecu as its been upgraded by hirsch or worse set fire to car.

·
Administrator
5,122 Posts
no idea personally but your not the 1st to have the broken wire issue..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For anyone else that has this issue what I did was disconnect the battery earth terminal, pull the red relay and put an in-line fuse holder with a 10 amp fuse in it and attached a male spade connector to each end, then put one spade in the 87 slot and one in the 30 slot. Reconnected the battery and it drove away fine, managed the 12 mile trip to the garage, registered 4 ecu fault codes which is understandable but didn't go into limp mode. Upon inspection my mechanic said someone had been in there beforehand as it was a hell of a mess, but hopefully he'll get it sorted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For anyone else that has this issue what I did was disconnect the battery earth terminal, pull the red relay and put an in-line fuse holder with a 10 amp fuse in it and attached a male spade connector to each end, then put one spade in the 87 slot and one in the 30 slot. Reconnected the battery and it drove away fine, managed the 12 mile trip to the garage, registered 4 ecu fault codes which is understandable but didn't go into limp mode. Upon inspection my mechanic said someone had been in there beforehand as it was a hell of a mess, but hopefully he'll get it sorted.
Good to hear your trip was uneventful and no need for the fire brigade. Could you please share the symptoms and diagnosis details.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear your trip was uneventful and no need for the fire brigade. Could you please share the symptoms and diagnosis details.
No problem, symptoms were ;
Put key in ignition and turn on everything seems normal but for the fact that the ignition doesn't click when key inserted, the heater plug, fuel gauge don't work, displays traction control failure and won't turn over.
It turned out to be a corroded wire under the fusebox, can't say which colour it was as mechanic said someone had been in there before and messed up the wiring loom. It's fixed now which is all that matters. As I said earlier if this happens you can get car going again at least so you can reach a garage by disconnecting the earth terminal of battery, pulling the red relay from fusebox next to battery and running an in-line fuse holder with 10amp fuse (no bigger as ecu fuse is a 10amp) from the no. 30 terminal to no. 87 terminal, reconnect the battery and you're ready to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts