Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, A while ago I purchased an iCarsoft - VOL 2 diagnostic tool specifically for Saab and Volvo that purported to be able to reset the airbag light. (The latest version is VOL 3). This tool wasn't cheap and doesn't work for that function. The latest software update for the Volvo function is 2021 and yet the Saab software update is only 2017 and it's suggested that it will not be updated any time soon!
Does any member have this particular iCarsoft product model and has been successfully using it for a 2001 9-5 SE?
Any advice would be appreciated
Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, A while ago I purchased an iCarsoft - VOL 2 diagnostic tool specifically for Saab and Volvo that purported to be able to reset the airbag light. (The latest version is VOL 3). This tool wasn't cheap and doesn't work for that function. The latest software update for the Volvo function is 2021 and yet the Saab software update is only 2017 and it's suggested that it will not be updated any time soon!
Does any member have this particular iCarsoft product model and has been successfully using it for a 2001 9-5 SE?
Any advice would be appreciated
Chris
Did you have resolved the issue from the airbag?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you have resolved the issue from the airbag?
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Firstly, the supplier says that the iCarsoft Vol 2 Diagnostic tool for Saab and Volvo will NOT reset the airbag light - even though the instructions and the box says that it will. They will NOT take responsibility to refund or replace with a tool that will - so don't buy this tool for Saab!

Secondly, the air bag light has been a problem for years and service workshop diagnostic says that it's drivers side (right hand drive) and that it's a short to ground. Clock spring has been replaced and wiring checked but after a few days the light comes back on again. it sometimes goes off and then returns again. Workshop says that it may or may not affect the operation of the airbags in an accident, but it has to be reset every year to get an MOT.

I guess I just have to get them to reset it with their tool and issue the MOT every year - it's by far the cheapest option.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Chris,

I went through a similar situation with a different manufacturer, and discovered that only the Tech II can access the airbag system. You may not need it though, if you can figure out what the problem is. Someone may correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the computer queries the airbag system every time you start the car, and if it finds no faults, the light doesn’t come on. In my case, I replaced the front seats in my 2004 9-3, and ended up with a faulty seat position sensor (the one that’s mounted to the seat rail). Once I got that identified and fixed, the light went out on its own. If you can find someone with a Tech II, it should be able to pinpoint exactly what the problem is. Good luck!

John Francis
Rolla, MO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that. I understand about the Tech 2 tool, but the reason I wanted my own tool was that I could do some checks and make various changes myself until I solved the problem. The last info that I had from my workshop guys was "Driver air bag short to ground" and "Drivers air bag resistance too low" I will check those issues again around the clock spring etc, and also a possible problem with the front bumper sensor, (not diagnosed on their last test) as I had the front bumper off a couple of years back for some repairs - albeit that this problem has been going on long before that. Coincidentally, I did try and correct the resistance/short thing by puting a 3.5 ohm resitor in SERIES with the drivers air bag circuit - but that didn't fix it either! Also, without the tool, I have to wait for a large number of "starts" before the light goes out and then returns a few days later! It would be great just to get it done and dusted at home over a couple of days. My workshop guys said that they would fix it, but at no fixed price, their eventual cost will probably be greater than the value of the car!! Another way I can resolve the MOT issue once and for all is that vehicles in New Zealand that are over 15 years old can have their air bag disabled and certified as such and it no longer becomes an MOT (WOF in NZ) requirement, and that is probably a solution as there are many Saabs out there that have had a steering wheel replacement that has no air bag. Once again, really appreciated your input.
Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts