Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or are the 900's really [expletive deleted] at not rusting!

The car is plagued with what I class as bad water/mud traps.

yesterday I had a poke at my rusty rear offside arch. Well that was fun, most of the rear arch has gone. There is a very big hole thats gone through the double skin and most of the flank that drops down. Very large mess and most of the arch has crumbled. The black arch cover thingy has nowhere to bolt onto now.

The doors, where are the drain holes? The seals trap water as well, something thats not been seen since the very early rover SD1's. The doors (not just mine either) rot from the inside out which isn't to clever. Theres a rubber bung in the middle but its seesm to be undersealed on, this is the same on 9k's in the scrappys.

A bit annoying, what makes it worse is I cannae weld, I can fuse 2 bits of metal together no bother but thats not welding. Gimme a smashed enigne and no bother but bodywork is a bit different. So can we get repair sections for the rear arches? Theres no way I am getting a new 1/4 panel for the stupid price of 300 quid.

Chris

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I cannot speak for 900's,but as far as 9000's are concerned I have no complaints,I have two,a 88& 92,the 92 is totally rust free,the 88 has a little rust in both off-side doors and o/side rear wheel arch,I suspect that all this has been caused by the repair of accident damage.The door drain holes are in the seam,not the door bottoms as such,so are unaffected by the seals.Judging by the numbers of immaculate and in many cases 10-12 year old 900's on the road,I would not have thought they had much of a problem either.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have a 91 9000 and it does not have a mark of rust anywhere apart from the bonnet, this has stone chipped very badly and is going in next week to get resprayed, the guy who is doing it has done 4/5 with only the bonnet needing done, why they did not use galvanised steel like the audi's and volvos do i dont know.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a 9000i, missed a 0 in the first post!

Up around here the early 9000's like mine are all rusty at the doors and rear arches.

Its a 1988 one.

Maybe they changed the seals on later cars but on my early one and others the seal on the bottom is right up all the way along and theres no drain holes in the door. Went along the inside trying to clear the rusty metal out to find one and there wasn't any, so I poked a hole in the bottom with my finger, its now got a drain hole.

They don't seem to be be very thoughtfully built in a few areas.

The later ones seems pretty good at keeping the tin worm at bay though. Just go to the scrappers and see the early cars with big rusty holes etc etc on them.

Its a tad annoying though as its really just the door bottoms and the rear arches. The nearside rear arch has very little rust on it. Just bubbling through from under the trim (which traps water and mud allowing it to rot), spilt petrol over the years may help in the offsides demise.

Shoudd have MOT'd it before I pulled the wing off really

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a 9000CD. It oo has rust coming from the inside out at the base of the doors all four of them. There are bungs on the bottom of the doors of course, where the skin folds under the frame...

Not sure where the water sits before it comes through though??

The rest of the car is solid, except the sunroof...as mentioned in a previous posting.

I guess the bottom of the doors can be repaired and filled, but it would be good to know where the water sits before it comeds through...any ideas?

Ray

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after further investigation of my car, and 3 cars at the scrap yard. Its seems that fine man Mike H was indded correct. There are drain holes. Except on all the cars I have seen these have been undersealed over! This is factory underseal to!

Anyway the drain holes are right up against the seals, they are about 15mm long and about 5mm wide. If you look closely you may see a slight indent on the underseal here. Poke through it with a screwdriver. Beware, the scrapyard cars decided to pour water all over me! lol

There is the big central rubber bung but on mine and the other cars its undersealed on good and proper.

The water is meant to be mainly channeled off by the rubber, little is actually meant to get into the door but it does. I have found it puddles in the bottom can't escape so it rusts its way out. The water is meant to run straight out the drain holes. If you take the door trim off and the plastic sheet off you may find a puddle and a lot of flaking rust in the bottom of the door. Clear it out.

I have a problem with my sunroof, it tilts fine no bother, but the 1st inch or so movemetn on the slide needs assistance fromt he key in the headlining, then its fine. I have concluded that its jamming here because the metal under the rubnner has rusted thus closed the gap up for the runner to slide through.

Also every one of the sunroof drain holes were blocked solid. 2 under the rear floor and the front 2 dump behind the plastic arch liners on the front. There is a rubber boot over the end of the drain tube, pull it off and clean it out then give it a good rinsing to get it spotless and there you go, magic.

Chris

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Chris H,
Glad you found the holes,now neither of mine have underseal beneath the doors,could it be a Scotish thing? Bearing in mind that you have worse winters than we down to-wards the south?
Any-one else undersealed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I speak for 900's, I live on the west coast (close to the shoreline) and my 1989 900s with 281000 kms has NO rust whatsoever. I see all these japenese imports rusting along the side and I merely laugh ! Of course the cars body has been taken care of so that might have something to do with it

·
Registered
388 Posts
See article from Auto Express - It seems rust should not be a problem for us 9000 drivers, but like anything you have to look after them.

Monday 14th January 2002

Research Shows Rust Is History...

Cars are rusting less and less, according to a scientist who has cut up more than 800 used vehicles to check for corrosion.

Microscopic examinations of welds and crevices showed the Saab 9000, Audi A4 and Volvo 800/70 to be the most resistant to corrosion over their lifetime.

Bo Rendahl of the Swedish Corrosion Institute said car firms have all but banished rust by carefully applying adhesives around door sills and bonnet flanges. He found major improvements in the Nissan Primera, Vauxhall Astra and VW Golf, plus the Renault Clio and Mégane. Rendahl also concluded that rust normally starts around the rear wheelarches. Mike Penny

Comments: 0 Article from: Auto Express

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.