Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'morning all, little question. My otherwise fine '92 iSE is very rusty underneath. Axle, springs, struts, everything. Strange thing is, the door bottoms are fine. I'm intending to spend a happy(!) few days with a selection of wire brushes and stuff to remove it all but once I've done that what do I paint/slap on everything to protect the metal. I've no idea how it got so rusty.The exterior and interior of the car is absolutely fine with no rust in the usual suspects such as the door bottoms, bonnet edges or wheel arch lips and the headlining is 100%.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
The only reason the suspension components get so rusty is that they are exposed to literall everything the road an throw at it, with, to be honest only minimal protectio. 16 years of being sprayed with salt water, and shot blasted with gravel will do this.

Clean it up as best you can paint wih a zinc rich paint (Galafroid is good,but expensive) top coat it with Hammerite and then spray with Waxoyl. I spray under the T16S with wxoyl eery year.

·
Registered
434 Posts
top coat it with Hammerite[/b]
Ewww. I _loath_ that stuff with a passion - it's revolting stuff, adheres poorly, and peels easily.

There's much, much better stuff available. If you've got a compressor, any local motor factor will have a range of stuff that can be easily sprayed on with a "spatter-gun" type applicator. I've heard very good things about POR-15 (available through Frost in the UK, IIRC)

For suspension components, I don't think I'd even try to clean & paint in situ - not only will you not be able to get at things properly, but the bushes are probably knackered anyway. If you've got decent underside access, the rear comes apart fairly easily. I've not gone near the front on mine yet, but IIRC it's only one lower arm that can't be removed with the engine in...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts