Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want my mota to last for ever , so I need to do a little pre emptive protection. What are the rust hot spots that I should look out for and get protected before they bubble or crack? I've noticed a little brown staining near the engine torque arm-to body mount that needs seeing to. Where else (that I haven't noticed yet)?

Kev

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks mpen. The surface and joint spots I've found I have sealed with corrosion protectant underseal and then an over coat of paint. This isn't going to get get inside the crease at the bottom of the doors. What would you recommend for this? Some sort of penetrant spray I presume?

Kev

·
Registered
159 Posts
Speaking from experience here... the most frequent spots are located at the wheel arches in the mid-section of the car, typically on the lower panels. Rust often collects here beneath the weather stripping around the arch and bubbles because water becomes trapped in there. Also, on my car, the rubber strip on the driver's side doors seems to be fastened with iron screws, as they are rusting and the residue is slowly dripping down the lower door sills, staining the paint! Unfortunately, these are a pain to replace, but as far as the other rust spots (wheel arches and bottoms of door panels), wax them regularly to prevent rust! Also, small stones and gravel that can be kicked up from the road can but small holes in the paint that are hard to see at first glance. (I've got one on my driver's side A-pillar). These can turn into an eyesore if not waxed or painted over relatively soon. Good luck with your car!

·
Registered
218 Posts
It is always worth whipping the plastic wheel arch liners out on the front and Waxoyling everything you can see, I found slight surface rust developing on my '92 CS. Check the rears of the front wings. There is a piece of foam to stop vibration. Whip it out (you probbaly have to whip out the side indicator) and clean behind. I pulled out a small mountain of leaves and muck on mine.
The other place mine is going seems to be up behind the rear wheel arches on the side panels, accessed by getting on your hands and knees under the back of the car. They didn't have too much underseal on them.
I think basically anywhere behind a plastic cover should be checked out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.