Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing my water pump, gaskets, thermostat my car still runs hot. After starting it from cold, it runs up to about 3/4ths of the guage and then ticks down to between 1/3 and half of the guage. Which should be normal thermostat operation? Anyway after that it bounces around between 2/3rds and right before red. Depeding on the time of day, and how long I have to sit in traffic or lights. I hear the fan coming on from time to time, but doesn't seem to have any consistancy with the engine temperature. I've flushed it a few times with some cleaner autozone sells with no results. I'm thinking about taking it to jiffy lube or something to get it professionally done. Anyone seen this kind of problem before? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Check for the infamous 'blue wire syndrome' where the small blue wire breaks from the connector to the rad temp sensor buried by the rad on the LHS. I happened to download the useful diagram David Taylor linked to last week, then realised at the w/e that my temp had been climbing higher than normal. On checking it turned out to be the blue wire (might have finished it off putting in the i/c the other week). Saab naturally designed it to be difficult to get to (a little more effort and they could have made it bl**dy impossible), but with the headlight and wiper motor out I managed to link across it and all is OK again.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
There was a change of temp guage design sometime after '92,the early ones do tend to wander up and down,but never quite onto the red.I expected mine to behave after an extensive head overhaul,new water pump,rad and thermostat,but no change.The later ones climb halfway up and stay there.
mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.