Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`d appreciate some advice from experienced 9000`ers - I`m after a Griffin 2.3 turbo - in comparison with my `92 900xs this will be around 6-7 years old, have more performance & a bit more comfort.
Is the trade off a matter of big bills & non - DIY maintenance? The old 900 just keeps going with no problems at all, so is it a wise move anyway?
Any opinions/experience welcome! - especially anyone who has gone 900 > 9000.
Thanks, Julian

·
Registered
203 Posts
I drive a 9000 3.0 V6 Griffin. Other than the squishy ride and the need to maintain your servicing, the car is a rock. Interior is still better than most new cars today. The quality of plastics and trim is superb, my 9-5 interior is a Camry by contrast. The 9000 is a great solid car, the Griffin adds lots of fruit - perhaps the only thing for taller drivers, I wish I could lower the seat a bit more. I am a six footer and with the sun-roof, you tend to loose hair in the headlining.

·
Registered
945 Posts
My missus owned a K Plate 1993 2.3 Turbo Griffin for 2 and a half years and has just sold it a couple of months ago after much money spent. The Traction Control as on most 9000's is a total pain in the ass and so makes the Griffin best avoided unless you can be assured substancial parts of it have been replaced or you can buy one with the traction gone on the cheap and get the traction sorted yourself giving you peace of mind. The Auto boxes (which all Griffins are) are just as fragile as the other autoboxes in all other Saab's. Oh and dont touch a '93 Model (although Ive heard its the same for all 9000's of this year) Everything for this year was different to the previous years and post years, it was almost the guinea puig year so getting bits will be difficult. On the plus side though they have got every piece of specification Saab have ever had (including memory for passnger seat!!!) and have got a pace and grace that no other 9000 can match. Sure there are faster Saab's but none of them can match the luxury you will do it in, just look at the list price new in '93.....you dont see many Saab's fetching that today! (£31000)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
A chum has a MY93 Griffin. It does not have traction control, and seems very very similar to my MY94 CSE. Exactly the same things have gone wrong with each car, these being the usual "9000 things" (that's not 9000 separate items - it just feels like that sometimes) that are listed regularly on this board.

The central arm rest fitted to a Griffin is a pain, but can be easily removed. The leather & walnut door casings are nice. So decide whether you want a green one or a blue one and try to find one on 16" wheels (these may have been standard as the 2 Griffins I know both have 16" cross spoke style wheels which are impossible to keep clean).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thank you very much gentlemen! Perhaps I need to look out for an `anniversary` CSE manual as an alternative - do these have all the same trimmings more or less? As a 9000 virgin can I ask if it possible to disable the traction control or is it bound up with everything else? (&^£**&**!! electronics!)
Thanks again, Julian

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
As an alternative you might look at an older 9000SE. The were maxed-up by way of fittings (wood, leather, ACC, electric seat control etc) and have oodles of power from the 2.3 FPT. I'm not sure which years they were produced, there's not many of them about, I don't think I've seen more than half a dozen.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I think the Griffin with the 2.3T engine (better than the V6 IMHO) can be had without the traction control ?

The 2.3T anniversary comes with all the goodies but the Griffin (maybe only certain model years)was the only model with complete leather seats all the rest have leather faced seats - i.e. backs/sides are vinyl. Lesser engined anniversarys have less goodies.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I always preferred 9k's with full leather seating rather than the half leather half suede of the Griffin. Have to admit I didnt know they did a Griffin without Traction and unfortunately although on later cars you have a disable switch when it breaks disabling it wont let you drive the car properly, everything has to be workign fully before it will let you do that. Oh and mrs's Griffin had 15's not 16" wheels on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.