Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty...you all know that rubber that wraps every door frame, and trunk/boot well i need to bring back the "puff" into them. I remember awhile ago being told a trick that will re-activate the rubber and make it "puff" up again to seal tightly. I have a bad leak on the top of my rear hatch when it rains, and i think if the rubber would seal right, this would stop, or become much less likely to happen. Sooo... does anybody remember this neat tip/trick? THX in advance

~Jeff aka BurnsSide42

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not sure of the tip for the rubber door seals, but as I recall the peanut butter (or it may have been peanut oil) was suggested to restore the black trim to nice and shiny.

I do agree that putting peanut butter on ones car seems a bit odd. Not to mention, a bit of seed and you'd have a nice mobile bird feeder.

Besides, the other half is allergic to nuts. Can't imagine that would go over too well...

mike

·
Registered
200 Posts
Burnsides42 have you seen the topic called wind noise on this board it may have the soultion that you are looking for especialy the advice given by stefano from italy, hope this is of some use to you , regards redrocket

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can't say that i did, but i will now look for it, THX I too hope it helps. I tried Armoral on my sisters Jetta's molding and it cleaned them nicely, as for sealing better, other then less dirty, i don't know how good it really works...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I AM RELISTING THE DETAILS I FOUND TO MAKE IT EASIER ON OTHERS TRYING TO LEARN THIS THEMSELVES... Stefano's Post follows:
Originally posted by Stefano:
[qb] QUOTE
I seem to be getting more wind noise intruding into the cabin. As there are no tears or rips I guess that door seals have compressed or taken a "set" over the years (car is 1996 vintage. Tweaking the closure mechanism (if this is possible) will probably make matters worse in the long run, by further compressing the seal.[/b]
I had the same problem, and I noticed that it was way more noisy in winter than in summer. I have a '87 9000t16, so my seals are much older than yours)
I fixed it. For free. (new door seals were 120 euros each). That's how I did.
I "bended" the whoel door. I had the window down, put a little wood spacer between the A pillar (windshield base) and the door, and pushed toward the centre of the car, like if I had to close th door. I had my hands on the upper front corner of the door. Then I did the same thing on the other door pillar, the rear one. I bended it too to the middle of the car.
This wasn't hard to do, because the door are pretty soft to bend. The window still scrolls up and down with no problems, like it did before. The wind noise is gone, even until 220kmh. The door was just a bit harder to close for the first days, then it came back normal (or I got used to).
I didn't invented myself this procedure, my mechanic saied it's the normal procedure for body shops to fit doors into cars.
I still have some rubber hoses (like windshield washer hose) between the seal and the A pillar, I put it from the front side of the windshield. I put it in before I bended the door frame, and they helped a bit. I don't know if now it could work even without those little hoses, but they don't harme me here they are and I'm not taking them out.

I hope this helps. [/qb][/b][/quote]Post Originally Displayed Here: Stefano's Tips

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have used Acetone for years to clean all the rubber trim on my vehicles and it works very well. You can follow this up with either ArmorAll, Silicone spray or the rubber dressing of your choice. I think I would try something like this first before I started trying to realign the doors for a tighter seal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.