Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hey Mark! You should post my 30-100 mph vid there and see what they think of a stock Viggen!

Cheers,
Dubbya

Here's the link to the video of my car on Vigge's webspace. (Might want to ask him if it's ok that a bunch of Audi guys d/l from his space as I don't know how much bandwidth he has)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]Hey Mark!  You should post my 30-100 mph vid there and see what they think of a stock Viggen!          

Cheers,
Dubbya

Here's the link to the  video of my car on Vigge's webspace.  (Might want to ask him if it's ok that a bunch of Audi guys d/l from his space as I don't know how much bandwidth he has) [/qb][/b]
Now I know why there are tons of people downloading that old video of yours from my server
I dont mind the traffic if it stys in resonable limits. Download speed will drop dramatically as strain increases. After all this server is on my personal computer and it can't handle too many request at once with high speed. The server is behind a 10Mb cable, so limitations to dowload speed are caused by the lack of server power

·
Registered
348 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]And I just found a link to a dyno image from the Taliferro Saab Viggen!  With all the modded hardware they were getting 230 wheel hp with the stock ecu!  Then with the modded ecu they got 252![/qb][/b]
Oh, poor Nick Taliaferro. He´s gone trough all that trouble modifying his Viggen - Intercooler, Piping, exhaust, cat, ECU, etc., and still he doesn´t get more whp than Adrian´s stock Viggen.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
To be fair, hasn't Adrian retracted his 250+ wheel hp claim pending a long-awaited dyno run?

James

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

I thought I heard my name. My Viggen is a project and will be sorted this winter. Mostly it is just an experiment. I could not wait until the dyno was completed to get some baseline runs on the stock car.

There are a few parts installed that do not make power. I also have aquamist installed but did not think to do any runs with it active. With the cams I lost some torque but gained some top end pull. We have been trying lots of cam combinations and have found some better specs.

I know there are simpler combinations of parts that make more power. I wanted to see what could be done with a stock ECM and see what is gained with each part.

Oh by the way it has lots of
!

Nick Taliaferro

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hey Nick ... any idea what the car made stock? So far the only person on SSC to put a stock Viggen on the dyno is Phillip, and powerfull as his car is it was a MY99 ... there were some small changes Saab made after MY99 and I'm curious if any more power is seen at the wheels.

As for the 252 ... even the g-tech won't give me that figure again. Which really buggers me off, because it did it several times before and would always be near that result. Comparing new and old videos it accellerates the same, but the g-tech now tells me it's more in the 215-225 range. (if it's cold enough anyway, I imagine Nick has more consistent power on 93 octane than I will ever have on re-formulated Ca 91
). Which may or may not be accurate. I'm looking into a dyno run and I have checked a few places out. Most use free-rollers which I'm told are not adequate. So the search continues. Another memeber of SSC said with downpipe intake and water injection they had 242 on a MY2000 Viggen with stock computer.

Let us know how the water injection works out in power when you get it all setup if you can Nick. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Cheers all,
Dubbya

edit: And for the record Vigge I did suggest to ask you first. But I'm relieved you don't mind.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
At The Viking Challenge's mobile dyno in the USA last year, I believe stock Viggens were in the 212-215 whp range. Most of the older cars (some of which were dynoed before in the same config) actually were about 10-20 hp below expectation on that day, so we can more or less rule out an overly optimistic dyno.
Which leads me (and others) to believe the factory standard Viggen to be a genuine 250 flywheel hp car...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
It must be somewhere in that region. It certainly accellerates like it has more though. There are a number of equal weight cars rated at 250 hp who's drivers can attest to the significant power (and especially torque) of the Viggen after it made them look a tad slowish. But that could simply mean they didn't actually have 250 hp as they were rated.

I would guess Saab gave a reasonable minimum figure. On good gas, 230 is probably near the lowest crank hp the car is likely to see in normal running conditions. (barring excessive heat etc) But I think it may, under certain conditions, go a bit higher. As I said, I've been next to a tuned Evo on an onramp and once the Viggen got into 3rd gear where it's allowed full boost the Evo couldn't gain at all. An Evo here has been numerous times rated at between 228-238 hp and this one had an exhaust and intake. Granted I could have been 10 hp down and just had better high speed gearing, but you get the point. It's very close hp wise. I'm actually looking forward to RR figures even if the hp figure is lowish. I got to chat with the guy with the Evo, and if I have horribly low numbers he's gonna feel real bad about getting paced. *insert evil laugh here* So at this point it's a win/win for me.

Cheers,
Dubbya

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Apoligzing for how scatter brained previous post was. Horrible migraine and I'm on vicoden. The pain may be gone, but so is my brain.
lol 215 hp sounds reasonable for the Viggen under 55-75 degree temps. Under 55 (or over 85% humidity) is where I always see higher. But never over 230 anymore.

Cheers,
Dubbya

1 - 16 of 16 Posts