Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just become the (proud?) owner of a 1987 9000i and among the dozens of annoying problems is a significant engine misfire at low rpms. Some days however the car runs just sweet - like a rocket, but on other days (in different weather conditions?) it is underpowered and missfires. Fitted new plugs which did improve it slightly. The engine also gets hot when idling at a standstill, although the electric cooling fan does work.
Short of visiting the Saab dealer, any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, deane.
If you haven't tried it already, it's worth replacing the ignition leads and checking the distributor cap and rotor arm. Especially since you say replacing the plugs improved things.

Has the fuel filter been replaced to schedule?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BillJ, thanks for the advice.
From the documented history the ignition leads were replaced recently. The fuel filter I'm not sure, but I'll check through the receipts. I'll check the distributer too, as you suggest.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
The running hot part could just be the super accurate temperature gauge fooling you..

if there is plenty coolent in the car, and the fans work well and when you move off the temperature goes down to normal, I would'nt necessarily worry too much about it.

Later cars had their temp gauges damped around Normal because Saab got lots of owner questions surrounding the old temp gauge and it movement towards the higher position whilest the car was stationary for a few minutes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Easy way to see if the fuel filter is new is pop open the bonnet and look at the nearside strut. The fuel filter is mounted here.

Anyhoo, my 9000i was in a similar situation. Well it was [expletive deleted] when I bought it then by the next day it was fine. The minor things like the locks sunroof etc were done later.

Basically I checked and cleaned all the connections, some of which were particularly dodgy (plug and unplug them a few times), I whipped off the air flow meter, popped the screen off and cleaned the obscene amount of carbon from them.

Took the throttle body off and cleaned that which took a while and had trouble unblocking the bypass hole on the top of the body (cotton bud minus the cotton sorted that). Although never took the inlet manifold off which has a very thick coating of sludgy oil (previous owner topped up the oil, topped up as in about 2 litres to much).

My EGR pipe is blocked completely so no worries with that. Although the hot air supply that feeds the airbox from the manifold was full of rubbish which is what causes the screens on the MAF to get covered in carbon. So I took thyem off walloped them on the ground a few times and crusty bits fell out along with a load of nice fluffy soot which flew into the air onto my nice white T-shirt.

Also the idle control valve was clogged up good and proper as where the pipes to it. So They were cleaned, carb/brake cleaner into the valve and shake it, toothbrush and fairy liquid on the pipes.

But take the distributor cap off and check it for tracking to earth etc. Also check the coils connections.

As for temp mine when I first got it used to sit very high on the gauge, but after a bit of a cleanout and blowing some sludge etc out of a few coolant hoses (rad to expansion pipe and the TB pipes were bad) it sits around halfway pretty much all the time now which is nice.

Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've checked out the ignition components and all seems OK.
I did disconnect the temp sensor and found that the car ran extremely well - except the idle was very high and the car would not start when hot. The misfire stopped however and the car accelerated like a 2.0 litre should. I deduce, therefore, that the cause is a fuel problem and not ignition. I measured the resistance of the temp sensor at various engine temperatures and it seemed to be approximately what it should be. I shall change the fuel filter next.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For anyone interested. I cured the misfire and rough running (under powered) by replacing the fuel filter. Still not running perfect, but a huge improvement. Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.