Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of has a 9000 2.3 non-turbo, I think it's about a '91, and his problem is that it runs like a bag of nails at idle, but smoothes out and runs beautifully all through the rev range, but at idle it's almost as if it's running on 3 cylinders, could it be the idle air valve?, has anyone else had this particular problem?, any input would be welcome.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dazzel:

Most low idle problems are related to a break in the vacuum. Causes are cracked vacuum hoses either at the head leading into the engine, or at the vapor cannister. Check both for any cracks or leaks.

Second to inspect is the dump valve. If it is not functioning properly, low idle can be erratic.

I just went thru the same low idle issue and it was a crack in the vacuum hose from the valve cover to the air regulator located just in front of the valve cover. The hose is only about 4-5" in length but was cracked at the connection to the valve cover. Replaced and stabilized the idle.

Good Luck...hope this helps.

wherewolfe

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as far as I know it hasn't had any major work carried out, he took it to the local SAAB dealer who proceeded to replace the DI unit at about £150 and the crankshaft position sensor which was also extortionately priced, it seems to me to be a mixture problem rather than electrical, the reason I thought of the idle air valve was I seem to remember that he said it seems ok when it's cold, but when it warms up it runs like a pig

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Yep, my '90 Carly used to need a good clean up (of the idle valve) every six months or so.

Just remove from the car (five minute job as it's so accessible) and clean through with carb cleaner or similar.

HTH.

Nick.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Has he done a compression test? I had similar poor idle and OK at higher rpm problems. Idle was very rough, much like a 2-cycle engine. Turned out to be a burnt exhaust valve.

Rod.
'89 9000T

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.