Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 89 9000 turbo with 105k on the engine. the idle seems rough, and climbs above 1000 when i shift gears (auto) from drive to park, or from drive to neutral. my friend says i should clean out the automatic idle control. can anybody tell me how to do that?

another problem i'm having is that when i'm driving a long time in stop and go traffic, and idling for long amounts of time, the car won't want to accelerate if i push the gas pedal a good amount... is that the fuel cut-out system turning on? it feels like i'm slamming on the brakes, and i'm afraid the cars behind me are going to slam into me! the car will only accelerate if i let up on the gas pedal. any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by mind in gutter:
[qb]my friend says i should clean out the automatic idle control. can anybody tell me how to do that?[/qb][/b]
I know a man who can
It shows how to do it on a later model with Trionic, but chances are your valve is even more accessible (on top of the inlet manifold) and will require almost no dismantling to take it off for cleaning.

The second problem sounds like ignition. The fuel cut is extremely harsh and feels more like you've hit something than like you're slamming on the brakes. Does your car have Direct Ignition (no distributor or plug leads)? If so, it's likely the DI cartridge has failed. It's worth changing the plugs first, though. When were they last changed? Are they set at the correct gap (1.0mm)? Are they the correct type (DI will only work with the specified NGK plug, believe it or not).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awsome. thanks for the reply, i'll try cleaning the idle controller as soon as i get a chance.

as for direct ignition... i do not believe that my 89 9000 has it. i have a distributor cap and ignition wires, if that means i have a regular ignition. i wish i knew the last time the spark plugs where changed. i know it hasn't been lately though.

how can i tell if they need to be replaced? and how can i tell if they just need to be re-gapped? sorry i'm just now learning about the electrical system of cars...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by mind in gutter:
[qb]how can i tell if they need to be replaced? and how can i tell if they just need to be re-gapped?[/qb][/b]
If you don't know when they were last replaced, then replace them. They are cheap.
Once you've replaced the plugs, follow the service schedule - check the gap (and adjust if necessary) at every service and replace every 24K-30K miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts