Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since last service idle has been erratic..slowing down till engine almost dies then picks up to 1.5k revs and settles down to normal idle..getting progressively worse and now it is stalling...checked vacumm lines/ cleaned air filter /checked wires and spark plugs
apart from this the car is pulling like a train
any suggestions ??

·
Registered
763 Posts
Could be:
1. Idle valve on the inlet manifold has gone.
2. Problem consistent with vacuum leak somewhere, check thoroughly and replace pipes if possible ensuring that joins are airtight at heads.
3. Is head gasket ok, also known to cause this symptom! Check for oil in water expansion tank or for white sludge at tip of oil dipstick. Does car smoke on idle?
4. Try swapping ignition wires and see if problem goes (assuming yours is a non-DI car).

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
My car does this but only on startup, once running for 30 secs it settles, but I know my head gasket is going - just got to get around to doing it. Hopefully yours isn't the same problem. Idle Air Control Valves can also cause this sort of problem.

Neil

·
Registered
657 Posts
My (probably expected) reaction is not to let 'mechanics' near the car. Most servicing is trivially simple. Why not take it back and demand they sort it? I don't want some 17 year old trainee doing up the sump plug so tight it cracks the sump etc. etc.
Aim the brickbats here>>>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Quarryeff, I can't resist responding in full agreement to your comment!

I once took my car to what was a 'reasonable' garage for a service some years ago. The apprentice who ended up doing the job told me that he was not actually a mechanic but a qualified butcher!!! Charming.. thanks mate.

And off course, the first bend I take in the car after the service, the oil light flicks on briefly. Checked oil level, and guess what.. just touching bottom of dipstick!

And I had asked the guy if he had checked the level after refilling and 'running the engine' and he had assured me he had!

How do you avoid this. Find a trustworthy garage (I have got close to doing it once or twice!), and/or stipulate that the apprentice does NOT work on the car, or do it yourself!

Sounds hard on garages, but I am sure most of us could write wads on 'bad' experiences with garages. But we are still enjoying the spirit of good cheer, so maybe not for now!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Being a mechanic myself I am slightly offended by some of these comments, but I have to agree, having seen some people that call themselves mechanics, that unfortunately this does happen. You just need to find a garage that values it's reputation.

Neil

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Dear Roadrunner,
As already stated the idle control valve is most likely the cause of the erratic idle. It tends to clog up with sticky deposits which prevent the smooth movement of the valve. To fix it take it out of place, a couple of jubilee clips and a plug-in wiring harness, and clean through with carb cleaner until the rotary valve moves freely. Hope this helps.
Meep Meep....

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
9000CS23T.
No offense personally intended, and thanks for your comment.

I am sure their are plenty of professional mechanics about, with high personal standards. Problem is we are all fallible and the bad guys tend to tar the whole industry. I have learnt to be very cautious through experience, unfortunately, and I can list many problems and plain ignorance relating to many garages, including Main Dealers (Saab, Rover, etc, etc.)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Paul D

No offense taken. I do have to agree about ignorance in the trade, there are people out there who just want to fleece you, I think this is often, but not always, the case more with main dealers as they make more money through car sales.

Neil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.