Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been reading another thread and someone mentioned that there's no point taking your trionic Saab to a rolling road, Unless its for a power run as there is no way to adjust anything is this the case and would it be a waste of time and money other than to get a power reading?
I was considering having my car setup as I did my previous car (rover 220turbo) where they found nearly 10 Bhp!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Andy - what changes did they make to gain extra power?

This info from the Saab website: "Saab Trionic was developed in-house by Saab and is still one of the world's most advanced systems for engine management. It measures all the parameters which play a significant part in the combustion process. The data is used for real-time control of turbocharging, fuel-injection and ignition. The system also includes ionisation measurement inside the cylinders when the engine is running."

I would not go so far as to say that there is no point, but I do not see that they will be able to do anything very much given that the vehicle has a very complex ECU.

Ensure your airfilter is clean and you have a decent exhaust for stages 2+

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Apart from telling you the power output, a good rolling road can tell you about emission levels and, crucially for tuning, air to fuel ratios.

So, if you've done any tweeks that aren't fully controlled by Trionic (eg any form of MBC) it's a useful check that things are OK.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks that clears that a little more in my head.

As for what they did to my rover they adjusted fueling timing and reset the boost pressure back to a more useful level. Had it running 195Bhp at the wheels on an airfilter alone but as all rover engines it went pop a couple of years later.
But I'll tell you now i've experienced this saab's torque i think i'll stick with em.

thanks all

1 - 4 of 4 Posts