Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a few minutes in WHSmiths this lunch, magazine surfing (as you do...) and happened to pick up Car and Car Conversion (CCC) who are doing a BRCC 40year special.

One of the articles was a tuning clinic, by a man called David Walker.

Nowe the interesting bit for me were his references to :-

I've just got a nerw unit,
Folks now drive to Norfolk to see me and
Watton is in the middle of nowhere.

Where? Watton?, like 3 miles away????

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I drovbe round every watton industrial unit tonight, and found 'Emerald' (unsigned, but occupied by his wife) and had a good natter.

They are not advertising yet as they are quite busy and their main business is mappping their own Emerald M3D fuel computers to road and race cars. They are so far very surprised by the huge numbers of race car firms around here that they didn't know about when they bought the unit.

The wife has given me David's number so I can talk to him tomorrow about their new 4 wheel rolling road and see if he's willing and bale to left me on it

here's their link (to their old Brixton, london site) Dave Walker, Emerald

and RR page

This is a unit dedicated to tuning for road and race not a Boy Racer shop with RR attached. Looks like it could be good.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Pretty good, but being a 350bhp max RR there's a good chance out torque monsters could break the 2wd RR. Will the 4WD road be 1K Bhp top limit?

Could be worth a visit, still I think John Noble would be worth a visit....

- Rolling Road -
- Shoot Outs -
- - -

Costs per car for a power check & graph on a shoot out day are as follows:

2-WD:  £28.00  Minimum Cars: 16  Maximum Cars: 24

4-WD:  £38.00  Minimum Cars: 14  Maximum Cars: 22

On days when a mixture of cars are attending then the costs for each car will be as above but the minimum / maximum numbers will need to be negotiated depending upon the expected numbers and types of cars.

We would appreciate full payment a week before the event, if you have any problem with the number of cars coming then a Minimum Payment of 10 cars is required: £280.00 for a 2-WD event and £380.00 for a 4-WD event.  In order to ensure smooth running on the day we would ask you to supply us with a list (in order of participation) of driver's names, make & type of car, and number plate.  

- On The day -
- - -

The Shoot out will commence at 9.00am.

The organiser of the event must report to the reception and advise us of any cancellations or amendments to the running list.  Please note that NO new participants will be accepted, unless they are taking the place of another that has chosen not to take part.

The cars will then be called to the Rolling Road, in listed order, either by the drivers name or registration plate number.

ONLY the owner of the vehicle is allowed in the Rolling Road room: ALL other persons must remain outside the room or in the viewing area.

When appropriate there will be a 30-minute break for lunch at approximately 12.30pm

Tea & Coffee will be available throughout the event.

All drivers and cars running in the event that day will be entitled to a 10% discount on parts supplied and / or any work carried out by us if ordered / booked within 30days of the event.

All prices quoted are inclusive of VAT at 17.5%.[/b]
Obviously, not as involving as many RR's. :/

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obviously their old road wouldn't be big enough

I'll find out what his does tomorrow, and when his site will be 'localised'

He's obviously not in London now and I have no idea of his costs.

Andrew

·
Registered
661 Posts
Been reading Cars & Cars Conversions for years now,
Dave's a very clever Man - and quite amusing to read as well.
Be interesting to hear his reply - id be interested in another roling road run for mine when i fit the TD-04 (if i can actually find one for sale)

Pete.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dave's a top bloke. My 'other' car (Caterham 7) has made numerous trips to his rollers in Brixton (prior to Emerald's recent move to Watton) and featured in the mag a bit too. 240bhp from a nat. asp. 1.7 ain't bad (especially in a car that weighs 500kg) Oops I'm getting a bit off-topic now...

Mike

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
240BHP? Flippin' heck! Emerald are highly respected amongst the Elise crowd and their ECU is sold as part of well proven K Series upgrade kits. I know that they did charge a very reasonsable £25 for a power run - of course, now that they are in Norfolk, I reckon they'll be charging around a tenner.....

Andrew, I would be most interested in running up to Emarald at some point as I want to get my Lotus dyno'd.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm booked in for 18:00 on Tuesday for a quick check and roll for a local base line figure.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went to the RR tonight (he was running very latge yesterday).

Very nise set up, but he's not fully moved in yet.

And the results? Depressingly accurate.

225.9 bhp @ 5591
254.1 lbft @ 2983

Spot on for an Aero (if up or down the rev range a little)

Down on Autopoint 5 years ago, and Peter Baldwin last month by 15-20 bhp but I think this RR is quite accurate.

Very nice flat curve though and fueling/mapping is spot on.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This was a dynamic run, but it's either analogue or computer controlled and can also run statically (and 4wd).

He's spent nearly 2 months fine tuning the calibration since it was installed and says it's as close to true as it can be got without his partner building an electronic box of trickery to adjust some of the mid range fluctuations out (on the up run), the down run he says is already sorted.

Seems a good honest chap who loves his work (and writes about it).

I even got my run for free as he'd messed me around.

He uses the road in computer load controlled static mode for mapping his own designed Engine ECU's (16 load points each at 500 rpm intervals)

Andrew

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think last months CCC had an article on the calibration method that Dave uses on his rollers.

Most modern setups can be run in either mode, depending on the software settings being used.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think last months CCC had an article on the calibration method that Dave uses on his rollers.[/b]
Alex,

I'd be interested in reading that if you have a link or can scan it.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
If anyone has an accurate RR, it is likely to be Emerald. WIll be interesting to see what my other car makes. Andrew, I should arrange to pop in for a cuppa if I book a power run.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Scaero - JezF and I had a mini SSc Southern Meet tonight and were talking about this rolling road. Perhaps we can organise a day here at some time in the late summer. June is busy with Anglesey coming up - maybe we can look to Aug/Sep?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll have a quick check around for all the currently planned dates and see what opening's there are for Aug / Sep

Andrew
I may even have a car the exceeds stg0 by then

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If anyone has an accurate RR, it is likely to be Emerald. WIll be interesting to see what my other car makes. Andrew, I should arrange to pop in for a cuppa if I book a power run.[/b]
Jez,

If you bring the other up, let me know when and we will meet up.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 31 Posts