Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continued story from "9000 Handling Upgrade"

Thanks to Aeroboy Andy (hope you are viewing) I have a bit more information on the availability of Aero shox and some lingering questions about Saab's parts service.

Andy tells me that the part nos. for Aero shox were 4646758 (front) and 4647095 (rear). During ongoing enquiries about buying a Saab roadholding kit from a main dealer, they tell me the front shox have been superceeded by 4199899, but that the rear part nos are unchanged. The shox are colour coded brown. (Sorry Andy, the dealer has no idea how old the available parts are but did say that the shox are what they would sell as spares for an Aero)

I am still finding it impossible to get the dealer to confirm the spring lowering effect, or much else about the roadholding kit.

Does everybody else always find it so difficult to get good support from main dealers, or is it me ?

Anyway, is there another matched handling kit out there which has a suitably discreet (20mm or so) lowering effect on the car ?

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm no expert, but I've heard that areo spring don't lower the car much at all, not even 10mm if I remember correctly.

I lowered mine by 40mm and it's surprising the difference it makes in appearance.

Probably worth trying someone like Abbotts as they'll have some decent springs and dampners for you.

Plus they are very helpful with advise.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Gordy:
[qb]I think if you visit the Abbott website   http://www.abbottracing.com   and look in the clearance section they sell off second hand Aero springs. [/qb][/b]
Thanks Gordy, I noticed those but everytime I have looked it says out of stock - maybe I will phone to check. They also advertise delivery milage shox but never seen all the bits for a full Aero - I may end up just buying the Abbott kit with Konis.

Chris

·
Registered
836 Posts
Trentsaab did sell lowered spring kits for 9000, I bought one and it did lower the car by about 20mm. The handling was greatly improved and the ride was no worse. It didn't look 'lowered', just less stuck up in the air.
I also found that the most effective thing I did with the car was to change the rear anti-roll bar bushes. My friendly MOT garage man mentioned that the bushes looked a little tired (but no fail or need to change), I changed them anyway and the turn-in was vastly better

·
Registered
276 Posts
Chris

As far as I know, 4199899 are standard turbo struts and the ones supplied to me were colour coded red and had 22mm damper rods rather than 25mm ones. These resulted in poor spring control and were replaced with Bilsteins. These can be bought direct from a Sachs dealer for about £70 each which is a bit cheaper than Saab charge.

The 25mm lowered springs supplied by Trent came from Eibach and are no longer available...Trent sold the last set before realising so were unable to have copies made so I'm told.

Suggest you go for an aftermarket setup based on the experiences of our fellow Saabsceners.

Andy

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Andy and SJ for your comments.

I have spoken to Abbott and they confirm that really the Aero springs etc are not likely to be available again, so it looks like I will indeed be going Abbott springs + Koni.

Colchester is a pain to get to for me; does anybody know of somebody in Sussex with experience of fitting the Abbott kit? - I gather there is a fiddly bit because the shock mounts need changing.

Cheers
Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts