Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rhythmic noise which sounds like it's coming from behind the dashboard, it is in synch with the injectors, after a little investigation it would appear that the plastic fuel line clipped to the bulkhead was pulsating with the injectors at idle, I also heard there was a recall on the fuel rail dampers (I assume for not damping enough) has anyone else had or got this problem?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dazzel
Dunno about your noise,but my '92 CS Carly has a very similar sounding problem. In my case it is a steady light knocking,slightly muffled,that is directly connected to engine revs. It is only apparent inside the cabin,and,because of the accoustics,becomes much fainter when you open the door.Under the bonnet you cannot hear it at all.Although it sounds for all the world like an internal engine problem, because of the steady knock,the engine is,in fact,as quiet as a mouse when listening to it outside. It appears to come from behind the dash,or bulkhead area. At it's worse when idling it's quite worrying,and I tend to keep the air-con fan on so that I can't hear it (on the basis that what the head can't hear the heart won't grieve over!)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Someone else more experienced than I will no doubt tell you the technical solution, but if it helps, I remember my 1992 9000 had a similar noise.

Took it to the main dealer who installed something into a pipe which runs along the rear bulkhead of the engine bay and the noise went away.

Can't be sure as it was some years ago this was done, but my memory tells me it was a fuel feed pipe that was making the noise.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds like Jeff has got exactly the same symptoms and I believe if he were to feel the hard plastic fuel inlet pipe clipped to the bulkhead he would feel it pulsating with the injectors, I also believe it to be the fuel damper on the rail not doing it's job properly and as far as I can see there are only 2 ways of correcting it, either fit a new fuel damper to the rail or cushion the pipe so it no longer transmits the noise through the bulkhead, I have heard of people putting a small piece of rubber hose over the pipe and then attaching it to the bulkhead. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
222 Posts
The main dealer inserted a small plastic device into the pipe, which looked a larger version of one of those little anti-syphon things you put onto the plastic pipe feeding air into a fish tank to prevent the water running back down the pipe. I am sure I was not charged for this work by the dealer when I drew it to their attention.

Someone will be along later to reveal all !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.