Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having a bit of trouble selecting reverse lately and was looking at the selector link rubber bushing issue that has been much debated here.

My problem is, that 5th is perfect (as are 1st & 2nd), so don't believe it to be the bushing as it seems, from previous threads, that if it were the bushing then problem would be with 1&2 or 5&R. Note that on the few occasions lately that I have found reverse, it does not involve any crunching or unusual noise when driving in reverse.

Just had a tinker this morning in the car park at work (as I couldn't find reverse at all and had to push into parking space), and I may have found the problem.

Does the rotation of the reverse selector tube (the thing that you have to pull up to select reverse) have to be in a specfic orentation? It look like, but can't be sure as these newer haynes manuals are CR*P, that the tube leg needs to be pointing to the right of the gearstick. Anybody confirm this for me, or the position of the letter "R" on the tube - car is a 96 9k LTP manual, if that helps any? Will have another look at lunch time to see if I can get any further.

TIA,

Pete

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had another dabble, thanks for the pointer Steve, and it appears that the selector collar does not quite raise above the stop on the right of the lever mounting arrangement (under gaiter).

Have foud that if I lift collar and giva a bit of a heave upward on the lever then it will move a little further right and find reverse no probs.

Haynes talks of rubber gromet at gearbox which you remove then put a screwdriver in whilst lever in 4th, then put screwdriver in locator hole at lever mounting point. Can't find gearbox grommet/hole??

Think fault dates back to me trying to remove gearknob (as rubber cover was/is loose) and trying to remove plastic gearknob to no avail.

Looks like another job for this weekend to check alignments and check rubber bush in selector mechanism for good measure (anybody know if it can be had for less than £88
as quoted by the local dealer?).

Pete

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The gear boxes used to have an alignment system but my H reg didn't have it and neither does my P reg so I suspect is something that was phased out but this wasn't picked up by the people who revised the manual.

Also I think the rubber bush (which is prone to splitting) got replaced by something else on the later boxes.

Steve

·
Registered
545 Posts
The selector rod connector rubber bush can be obtained from euro car parts for about £15. It is on their web site but I had to describe it to the salesman so he could recognise it - rectangular block of rubber with 4 studs. A bit of a pig to fit though. Before removing the old one find out which gear is used for setting up - on my 93 CDE I think it was 4th. In front of the gear lever under the gaiter is a 4mm hole, insert a rod through here and if in the correct gear will go into the selector rod. Then under the car slacken the gear rod to gear box rod clamp and part the 2 rods (remove the 4mm rod)to give enough clearance to allow the rubber coupling to be removed once its nuts are undone but try to leave the gearbox fully in the same gear. Fit the new coupling, check the gearbox is in the same gear, rejoin the 2 selector rods, fit the 4mm rod then tighten the clamp. With a bit of luck the adjustment will be correct and all gears will be easy to select - if not try again.

But before you decide the coupling needs replacing you could try putting some tie wraps or jubilee clips around it to see if it helps.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Pete,

It sounds like you may just need to adjust the linkage slightly.

Slacken the nut on the adjuster- you can just reach it from the top of the engine bay with a long extension, a 13mm socket and possibly a universal coupling.

Once undone, push the gearstick to the left. You'll feel little resistance initially (the normal 3-4 centre springing), then a bit more. Push it maybe ¼ inch or so past this point, then tighten the adjuster up.

If you go too far, then you'll have difiiculty selecting 5th, but no worries, you just reverse the procedure.

HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.