Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really enjoying my manual TTiD Sportwagon, however does anyone know if it is possible to enable a one-touch triple blink of the indicators, or to retrofit the feature?

I've grown used to this feature on a 2004 smart roadster, and have retrofitted it as a relay box (komfort blinker) on a 2004 Audi A2, and just think it's a modern feature that makes the Saab feel somewhat retrograde, especially when there's a need to change gear while indicating.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
i am slightly confused and concerned about why you think its a good feature, does your car not auto cancel the indicator once you have moved lanes or turned down a road etc?

surely this goes against the highway code (Mirror, Signal, Maneuver) because what your asking for is to Maneuver at the same time as signalling without a delay in between the two, in which case what is the point in signalling in the first place? as you are not giving anyone who can see your indicators time to react to what you are about to do? unless i have missed the point and the situation where it is useful

if you dont want to fully engage the indicator you can just lean on slightly this will trigger it but then cancel as soon as you stop leaning on it (this is how i tend to indicate on motorways when pulling back in front of someone)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am slightly confused and concerned about why you think its a good feature, does your car not auto cancel the indicator once you have moved lanes or turned down a road etc?

surely this goes against the highway code (Mirror, Signal, Maneuver) because what your asking for is to Maneuver at the same time as signalling without a delay in between the two, in which case what is the point in signalling in the first place? as you are not giving anyone who can see your indicators time to react to what you are about to do? unless i have missed the point and the situation where it is useful

if you dont want to fully engage the indicator you can just lean on slightly this will trigger it but then cancel as soon as you stop leaning on it (this is how i tend to indicate on motorways when pulling back in front of someone)
I think you've misunderstood slightly. Triple blink is a feature where one push of the indicator stalk against the pressure point (i.e. without engaging) will trigger three blinks of the indicators. It's a standard setup on modern BMWs, Mercs, Audis, etc.

As currently set up, three blinks would require either holding the stalk against the pressure point without engaging, or engaging the indicator stalk and then manually cancelling it or steering in the opposite direction to cancel, which isn't my preference because I cannot change gear or return my hand to the steering wheel in this time, and there are many occasions (such as a left bend after a roundabout exit, etc) where it is unsafe and impractical to counter steer.

So, I am looking to determine if this feature can be enabled or retrofitted to my Saab.

As regards the Highway Code, I understand the M-S-M intent but cannot find any reference to a required delay between any of the actions, given that it is perfectly plausible to be able to simultaneously signal and manoeuvre if you have already identified your surroundings as safe, and that it would be unsafe to consider manoeuvring if this would force another driver to react - this would be acceptable in an Audi or BMW, but not a Saab!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
but what is the purpose of the three blinks if not to tell someone you are moving in their direction?

i know i havent been driving as long as some people on here (12 years) but i can not think of a single situation where i NEED indicate and change gear at the exact same time

as for a left bend straight after a roundabout, when the road becomes straight it will autocancel itself or you just flip it yourself when you are safe to do so

i am not aware this feature has ever been an option on a saab so maybe a bit of string attached to the lever and hold it in your mouth to cancel as you seem to want to operate a car in an unsafe way anyway?

sorry if i seem harsh its a pet hate of mine where drivers do not allow other people the time to react to drivers actions because they dont indicate untill the very last moment, i.e motorway driving etc, just becase you think what YOU want to do is safe you can not predict what another driver is ABOUT to do so its always best to indicate to tell everyone what you intend to do before you do it rather than at the same time quite a few accidents would be avoided, also this feature is possibly one of the reasons why BMW, Merc and Audi drivers are considered twats on the road lmao

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your choice for the way you drive, but perhaps you should show the same courtesy you claim to show on the roads?

Otherwise, I would *really* prefer a technical solution to my original query from an informed respondent.

·
SaabScene.com Premium Member
1,136 Posts
I think your being harsh Si - is there any need to speak to a new member like this? He is 3 posts in and is already being flamed. All he is asking is whether the one touch on the indicators is possible. Regardless of driving style, it's a feature that isn't currently available on the 9-3 and one that I would like to hear more about.

If it was such as bad thing then why is it widely available in other brands???

So back on topic please - would like to hear if anybody has managed to mod the relay / stalk to enable this feature.

And welcome Scubone great choice in car by the way.

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
i've been on saab forums for 9 yrs,i've never seen anyone wanting do this..i've got the 3 blinks on my coop s and it's turned off..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've been on saab forums for 9 yrs,i've never seen anyone wanting do this..i've got the 3 blinks on my coop s and it's turned off..
So, in your 9 years on saab forums are you able to advise on whether a) this feature can be enabled through the existing control unit, or b) whether a third-party relay unit is available (or could be created) to enable this feature?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
So, in your 9 years on saab forums are you able to advise on whether a) this feature can be enabled through the existing control unit, or b) whether a third-party relay unit is available (or could be created) to enable this feature?
Saabs were never designed with this feature so it can not be enabled through any existing control units

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
tbh i like the idea and missed it when coming from my astra to the saab, and my sprinter van has it too

its main use is for lane change where auto cancel would not work and imo a bloody good idea :p

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
my mistake,someone 3ys ago asked the same question..it's not part of saab programming..

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
and.............yes it is possible to achieve but how feasable in reality is another matter and you do need to understand Canbus wiring as the indicators are controlled by the cim and the bcm modules rather than just a relay and you need to hack this to do it correct, unfortunatley well out of the scope of most peeple

having said that there is a relative simple alternative to achieve such. by incorporating flashing timer relays and diodes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.