Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
In the previous posts , I referred to the original thermal fuse as being black tipped. A replacement from Maplins is now blue. See their catalogue p175, code RA64U, price £0.64p! Probably the cheapest SAAB repair you`ll ever do (or does anyone know better-now there`s a challenge ?)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the very useful info'. The location of the resistor pack is mentioned as being on the fan housing. How do I get to this because I would really like to do this cost effective repair.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi sorry to butt in, but can you please let us know how you get on with this repair as my one has blown again and Saabs has suggested that I replace the fan unit at a cost of £330.00!!
my car is a L-reg 2.0 LPT auto with AC.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If the thermal fuse is repeatedly blowing, then the fan motor must be drawing too much current. It may be that it simply needs the bearings lubricated.
Unfortunately getting at them could be another thing. :-(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I got the fuses from Maplins,but when I removed the trim I didn't know what the resistor pack looked like! I saw a unit that had two leads attached to it. Is that it?
I need more info about this one.
Do I have to open the fan housing (I hope not)?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mines a 92 car. There are 4 wires to the unit: Yellow, Blue, Green, Grey. The last is the direct supply that still works when the fuse has blown. Although these colours are the same as those in the Haynes manual they are arranged differently from the manual- BTW

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi there. Just a word to try and clear up this matter.
The fuse should be a 184 degree celcius type which has a WHITE cap to it (Maplins cat no. RA 19 V ).
Earlier versions of this unit were 110 degree types, but have been superseeded.
The unit is plugged into the side (nearside) of the fan housing, which itself is centerally located under the black cover at the base of the windscreen. The unit appears as a grey (sometimes white) oval with four wires on a plug coupler attatched.
It can be a b****r to release.

Whoops, just realised you may have an ACC equiped car. Is this right John?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, no mine is the normal AC with the 4-speed rotary switch on the dash. After removing the cover I could see the fan unit with a small unit attached to it with 2 phillips-type screws. I tried to remove its cover but I gave up in the end. Is there a picture of this on the net?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi John, I'm not sure about later models such as your '94, but on all earlier models the resitor pack is simply pushed into the side of the fan housing. If it's never been taken out then there will be a couple of small metal clips top and bottom helping to hold it in place.
To confirm its' identification I reiterate that four wires will be present on a plug coupler that will be showing prior to the packs removal.
Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
JohnE

Thanks for letting us all know the good news. I, too, would like to add my thanks to all who have contributed to the bulletin board. It is you that makes this bulletin board a success. Many thanks

/john

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.