Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9000 lpt with Speedparts Stage 1;

My original Wastegate/Actuator has given up the ghost as the new boost pressure pretty much disables it.

My car has been in the garage having the belt/pully's/tensioners etc done and the guy said that he could replace the turbo with an uprated actuator (same turbo model with uprated wastegate from an already uprated lpt) for £200 all in and I get my original turbo unit back as a spare. It is a genuine deal and is reputable.

Good deal??

·
Registered
227 Posts
£200 sound like a very good deal to me
I would have thougt labour would cost you that much alone.
Being the sceptic that I am I would just go for the wastegate, why replace the turbo if yours is ok?
Find out what the mileage is on the doner car, if it is very high you could be fitting your old one back on in 6 months time.
£200 is still a good deal though!

Steve

·
Registered
281 Posts
kinda agree - if it is the wastegate which is causing the problem - why replace the turbo? Also - is he intending to replace the actuator with one from another LPT? - reckon you'd be better-off with an uprated one if you are running higher pressure than before.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Be careful of uprating the actuator too much. If you do, and the springing is little different to the required base boost, then you will not be able to get sufficient pre-load on the actuator.

I'd recommend a minimum of about 2psi/2mm.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It came to light that the wastegate itself (the little circular plate) has bent out of shape and thus will not close the wastegate.
Just waiting for the Forge unit to arrive with a selection of springs to try

1 - 6 of 6 Posts