Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to upgrade the factory fitted speakers in my '97 CSE, and rather than paying a fortune
for a custom install I'd prefer to do it myself.
The back speakers look like standard 6 x 9's (not
sure about the front set) but how do you get them
out?!.
If anyone has done this and can recommend some good speakers (I was thinking JBL's) please let
me know!.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Leo,

I replaced my rear 'speaker and it was a little bit fiddly but you should be able to do it 2-4 hours. I would have taken some photos but the idea came to me after doing the work!

Anyway, All you need is a socket set and some Torq star (I think that's what they are called) bits can't remember what size though.

The speaker is mounted onto a large metal plate the is attached the body by 4(could be more) bolts, I think I had to remove the rear seat catch post (the bit that sticks out for the folding seat to latch onto to stay up) and pull the trim away all the way back to the hatch door to get access to the bolts.

I'd remove the mounting plate as it make accessing the speaker a lot easer but I think it is possible to do it with the speakers in place.

I got my 6x9s from Maplin and I think they are only a bit better than the standard ones, slightly better treble and not much difference in the base. Best try to listen to a range of different ones before you buy any but the key thing is to get a good head unit as that can make a big difference.

The ones at the front are a little easer to get at but again I'm not sure what would be a good upgrade as they seem ok to me.

I've been looking for a good car audio review web page for ages and so far have found nothing but online shops. One that did have some customer reviews was www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/reviews/

Also if your after lots of bass and volume you will have to get a subwoofer and a good power amp as all head units have limited power output no matter what they say on the box! If you’re into wattage the RMS is what you need to look for, not PMO or stuff like that.

Have fun,

NickP

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you pull aside the carpet it is possible to Undo the 6 nuts. These hold a metal plate on which the speakers are mounted Take it out Replace them with the desired 6 x 9 Speakers and put them back in. It took me about 2 hours to do both sides.
In the front undo the torx screws I believe 2 or 3 And take of the panels. There you will see the speakers mounted. I thought with torx screws.
I thought the size of those was 13 cm But I'm not sure.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
the fronts are quite easy
two torx screws on the side and a little one on top
you will have to remove the windscreen surround which should pop off (unless stuck down by an overenthusiastic window fitter) even if stuck ,can be eased off
the speakers are bolted into place with 4 off 10 mm bolts and the ones near the window are quite awkward.
you can replace them with component speakers but the last time I replaced them with hi-power jbl co-axials (wife kept blowing them up !!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.