Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the front butterfly bushes with polyurethane bushes?
I note these are supplied as bushes only with no aluminum surround and have to be inserted into the existing aluminum piece. Has anyone done this and are any special tools required.
I've changed the complete bushes before so I'm OK on that part.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Are the butterfly bushes the ones that connect the front wishbone to the chassis?.
If so I need to replace mine,but the thing is I dont feel any abnormalities through the steering.

Regards
Jon

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Harvey

Had a look there thanks
That is an excellent site but it only explains how to change the whole bush not how to replace the inner part.
Is there an Email link for the author

·
Registered
413 Posts
Haven't done this job myself so don't know more than is shown on the site but as far as I know there is only the complete bush to change, at the rear of the suspension arm. The 'Superflex' site lists just the bush to be fitted into existing housing.
To answer your question:- yes, at top right of page there is a 'feedback' link and at bottom right, a 'Bill Jones' ( author )link.

·
Registered
413 Posts
BTW Saabpilot...you previously said these bushes "..... develop a fair bit of play in high mileage 9000's"

What is 'high'?; mine's done 102k and at recent mot no comment was made about play. Are they likely to need replacing soon........?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The Superflex poly bush fits in the existing aluminium 'butterfly' housing. It is a tight fit and requires a bush fitting tool, or, at the very least, a decent vice to get it in.

Julian

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I haven't done 9000 bushes but I have done motorcycle suspension and swinging arm bushes as well as the bushes on the rear suspension links of several 900s. The techniques are the same.
First problem is often getting the old bush out. The easiest way is to thread a hacksaw through the hole in the centre and make to two cuts towards the outside until you just cut through the steel sleeve (if there is one, or just to the outer edge of the rubber if there is not). The bits of the bush should then just push out.
To fit the new bush you can it press in with a vice or where they have to fitted insitu they can be pulled in with a length of threaded rod, some large washers and suitable bits of tubing. If the bushes are rubber (or polyurethane) with no sleeve, applying some soap to them first will help them slip in easier,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts