Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help? I have a 2004 9-3 Sport Saloon and need to replace the cupholder, looking at the replacement part I think I need to remove the dash surround and stereo, but I can't see how the dash surround is removed.

Any advice greatly received!

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
682 Posts
Steve,

Get yourself a medium sized wallpaper scraper and slide it down the sides of the ACC control panel (The one with all the buttons on it below the cup holder) when you slide it in each side between the dash and the unit you will feel it pop a spring and the side will come out, repeat on the other side and the whole unit will come out revealing the underneath of the cup holder which i believe has 2 screws securing it.

Remove replace and then just pop the ACC unit back in and it will lock itself in place.

Hope this helps.

Zippy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the ideas, having done some more investigation this afternoon I have removed the Heater control unit and there are no screws holding the cupholder assy in place, it definitely is clipped in from above, so I need to remove the instrument surround and remove the stereo control panel. Having had a gentle prise at the surround it does not want to move, and I am frightened of damaging it, any clues?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
I already had to do this because the cup holder is so flimsy and I had to fix it. You need to pull out the panel underneath the cupholder with all the controls for the air conditioning and cd player not the radio control stuff which is above. The big block underneath just pulls out. I used a screw driver and prised it out easily. It isn't clipped or anything. The cup holder itself is a bit tricky to unclip but once you have removed all the stuff underneath you can see where the clips are and pull it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've just completed this job myself on my 2006 9-3......it cannot be undertaken from below as there are upper surfce lugs on the cup holder unit and so must be completed from above by the removal of the air vents and radio (radio doesnt have to be disconnected)

I initially followed other postings advising me to remove the air con unit....only to realise that this would not allow access to the cup holder fixings. What this was useful for, however, was to allow me to rotate the cup holder fascia panel without having to remove it. I'm not sure if there's another method!!!

The air vents are a pain to remove but give you simple access to the radio.

There are some excellent photos and explanations here http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126717

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know how to change the cup-holder in a 2003 9-3 Convertible? It has an older style instrument panel than the newer 2003/2004 9-3 Sedan, but same as the 2002 model year...

I think I will have to remove the SID and Radio first in order to get to the cup-holder that is wedged in between the SID and the Radio. What tools should I use to take out the SID/Radio?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks so much, yes I went ahead and found a great trick was credit cards to get off the vents to access the dash. Thankfully nothing ended broken, although some loud snaps had me cringing momentarily! I have installed a working cup holder I dont plan to use haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts