Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So where are people going for their replacement cores?

The price differences are wild with Euro car parts coming in at £59 + del + VAT, to another supplier at £214 plus del + VAT.

I have been offered a second hand one for £35 but given the history of these things that I read about, I don't really want to go down that route.

As long as it's going to do the job, i'm not overly fussed about it being a Saab genuine part, particularly since they have a pretty poor record, what's the consensus on the favourite replacement?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, nothing in the footwell but I know the smell and the misting is a clue.

I've also tried Radweld but I'm just totting up the jobs on my Aero to do before I start driving it again. Timing chains/balance chains are up there on the list too.

I've left my mum to do some leatherwork. Some stiching on one of the rear seat squabs had come undone for about 4" and unbelievably, the previous owner had got what looked like a saddler to do some needlework without removing the cover. The ends were gathered up and cross stiched. Amazing! Fortunately, he had used the original holes so no damage to the leather. It only took about 15 minutes to remove the seat and the cover.

I don't mind buying a new core but with such huge differences in price around just wanted to know if anyone had good recommendations.

David.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The main recommendation I would give is not to use Radweld or any other similar product.

It might be useful as a fix, but the long term effects are not good IMO- if you've got a leak, you should fix it.

It does indeed sound like classic heater core leak- I assume you are losing coolant?

As for which replacement to go for, I don't really know. You could always pop along to the cheaper stores and take a look at one and see if you are happy with the apparent build quality. I wouldn't risk the s/h one either.

·
Registered
276 Posts
David

I'm using the one supplied by Euro Car Parts (made by Nissen I believe) and it's been in for about a year with no problems. It is of all-metal construction and looks a lot more durable than the standard Saab plastic/aluminium thing (made by Valeo I believe).

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark, I'm not sure whether much coolant is lost, it's a few months since I bought the car. I bought it as an opportunity and it's just sitting around while i drive my 2.0 LPT. I don't recall it losing coolant but it has all the symptoms, smell when heater on etc.

Aeroboy, thanks, that's one of the ones that I was looking at, I don't mind paying that price compared with the others.

David.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just make sure that you get the right one. Before MY 1992 ( I think ) there was a plug in manifold where the hoses connect. This had 'O' rings to seal it and I assume these may leak, as may the hose connections. I don't know if a leak from either of these places would cause the water to get into the car; but probably would.

The later matrix has the hoses plug directly onto the hose stubs.

Harvey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.